changing a tub spout. not enough exposed pipe to screw into....

Old 04-22-15, 11:28 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
changing a tub spout. not enough exposed pipe to screw into....

So I recently started replacing some shower/tub trim in a tub from 1992 (all brass). So the old Delta tub spout was the type that just screws right onto the threaded nipple coming out of the wall. The first replacement spout I got left too much gap when I tried to screw onto the exposed threaded nipple. And more than you can cover with one of those decorative flange pieces. IE – more than an inch + between back of the spout and the tile wall when all the way screwed in.

The next one I got after talking to Delta, the length of the spout/placement of the coupling in the spout + the amount of exposed pipe/nipple…there isn’t enough pipe exposed to reach the threaded piece down in the nose of the spout. Went to Lowes to see if there was some brass coupling or something I could screw onto the exposed nipple that would give me the 1/2 inch – ¾ inch extension that I think would work. He said they don’t have anything like that and gave me some PVC coupling to try….way too long.

Outside of calling a plumber to come take off (or add, depending on which spout we keep) some pipe……or taking a hacksaw and cutting off ½ inch at the base of the spout….any ideas? Surely there is some extender/coupling I can get? This cannot be a unique occurrence.

Pics attached. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Images      
Old 04-22-15, 11:39 AM
T
Received 19 Votes on 15 Posts
Go back to the first spout. You'll need to simply cut the copper pipe to the correct size and solder on a new threaded nipple. If you're good with a torch, you may be able to remove the old threaded nipple, clean it up and reuse it.

Old 04-22-15, 12:21 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
If you want to use the longer tub spout I would cut your copper pipe in half and sweat on a coupling a piece of pipe of the correct length with a threaded adapter on the end. You need to have the whole assembly end up the correct length for that particular spout. There are no "adapters" because the length needs to be relatively exact so a 1/2" or 1" extension piece would still probably not be what you need so it's easier to just sweat together the pieces to make what you need.

Old 04-22-15, 06:22 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, You could get a tub spout that slips on. Just cut the fitting off the end, clean the pipe slip on the spout and tighten the allen. Make sure to read the directions first so you don't cut the pipe to short or long.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: