Utility sink plumbing

Old 05-06-15, 05:44 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Utility sink plumbing

Last week I moved into a house I bought. I hooked up the washing machine to the utility sink. As the washing machine was draining I noticed leaking from the sink. It was coming from the overflow valve (as indicated by the black arrow in the attached picture). I originally thought the drain was blocked, so I checked the trap for blockages and checked the vertical drain pipe by placing a house down there and turning it on. The water flowed freely down the drain. Therefore I think it may be a issue with the plumbing from the sink to the drain. I am concerned with the u-bend (as indicated by the red arrow in the attached picture). Does it look right? I'm not sure how the water is meant to travel through this section of the pipe. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to do?Name:  utility sink.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  14.4 KB

Old 05-06-15, 06:02 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That second bend appears to be there only because of the pipe location. There is no nipple coming out of the wall. Cap the overflow or extend it to go back into the sink. It looks like a dumb place to have an overflow. If you cap it, it will drain more slowly but it doesn't matter.

Old 05-06-15, 07:16 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Pulpo, I'm not seeing what you're seeing. It looks to me like that tail piece is meant for a dishwasher drain connection. I'm assuming that the second bend going into the floor is in fact a sewer drain.

To the OP: Is water coming out of that nipple from the tail piece (dishwasher connection)? If so then it's just filling up to quickly. You need to remove that tail piece and install a standard one. A washing machine discharge will fill up a stationary tub to about half way even as it drains.

Last edited by Norm201; 05-06-15 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-06-15, 11:53 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I wasn't sure that it was an overflow but that's what he called it. A dishwasher connection sounds right. I would cap it. Case closed.

Old 05-07-15, 08:50 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
dishwasher tailpiece.
Overflows are in the sink themselves not the traps. cap it off or replace it with a normal straight tailpiece.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: