Loud Pipes When Water Shuts Off

Old 05-21-15, 04:55 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Loud Pipes When Water Shuts Off

Hello - Every time the toilet finishes running, the washing machine stops the rinse cycle or even the dishwasher stops the rinse cycle, the pipes make a loud bang. I'm guessing the water is being shut off from the toilet, washer, etc. It sounds to me like I may have too much water pressure but whenever I turn on the faucets or turn on the shower/tub the water doesn't come out abnormally strong like I would expect with a home that has a lot of water pressure.

Has anyone ever heard of this and if so, is there anything I can do about it? Should I be concerned about bursting a pipe, etc? Thank you for any help anyone can pass along.

Old 05-21-15, 06:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
It's called water hammer. It usually happens with devices that suddenly stop the water flow. There are water hammer arrestors that can be installed in the plumbing to stop or minimize the problem.

Old 05-21-15, 06:45 AM
V
Thanks!

Sounds like you nailed the problem for me. I never heard of a water hammer arrestor. I will look into installing a few of them. Thank you! I appreciate the help!

Old 05-21-15, 06:51 AM
V
If I don't address this could the pipes eventually burst from this happening over time?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: