Buried gas line - alternative to using $$ "risers"

Old 05-21-15, 12:01 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Buried gas line - alternative to using $$ "risers"

Burying a 2" poly gas line for a pool heater ...
The risers are very expensive. I understand the pipe needs protection, but couldn't I switch to black pipe or galv. pipe under ground at end of PE pipe? How about running the PE gas line through large metal conduit bend? I'm thinking there has to be a way to save the $500 for 2 risers and comply with code.

Also, I understand burying the line requires sand, tracer wire, and caution tape. Does anyone have the code for in what order and how much of each?

I need to get pipe in trench before other work asap.

Thanks

Old 05-21-15, 12:33 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
All the code requirements will be in the LOCAL code which can be accessed at the agency that issued the permit for the work. That local code will list if any deviations from the National (model) code have been made.

This IS a permitted job isn't it?

Old 05-21-15, 02:07 PM
S
Yes, it will be permitted, however, the timing of other work dictates that I need to get pipe in the trench now before it gets run over. The excavation is on a different permit.
If you know an answer to the question, please do share. If I knew the code that well, I wouldn't have asked :-)

Old 05-21-15, 03:10 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
My point is that either of us can use the Internet to access the National Fuel Gas Code but that means nothing if your LOCAL jurisdiction has added to or deleted from the model code. Remember, ALL codes are local. Your local code may be posted on the Internet. Your approved plan that you received with your permit should reference various parts of the local code. At the worst you should be able to call the code enforcement office (inspector) and ask what alternatives to the expensive risers exist.

One thing that I DO know is that sleeved gas piping has several specific requirements in regard to venting of the sleeve and for those reasons sleeves are avoided whenever possible.

Now maybe you are telling me/us that you have already laid the gas piping and are now going to cover it. I strongly suspect that you need an inspection BEFORE covering it and that would be a good time to ask these questions of the inspector.

Old 05-21-15, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Ive always used steel ends in NJ and thats what the code officials what. But I have seen a new way to do it. All tou need to do is ask the code official if its allowed..

This is the normal gas riser install. Note 12" burial is required and they are strict on that. (Used to be 18" in NJ)

You need to run tracer wire from end to end out of the ground.. A certain gauge too..

Now if you look here you see they bring poly out the ground.. you still need a transition fitting and wall support... Cost??/ Dont know....

http://www.tecvalco.com/sites/defaul...gs_Singles.pdf

If your worried about $500 bucks for risers then wait till you get your gas bill for running the pool heater. Most if not all installs I did were not used after the first year or two. Some disconnected or removed.

So the $3500 buck investment people spend turns out to be a waste of money.. Usual installs in NJ with heater run $4500 or so. Turn key.

I only offer/suggest solar or nothing for the money spent..

Just my opinion is all.

Old 05-22-15, 10:15 AM
S
Great info guys, thanks.
In regards to the gas costs, my plan is to use the heater to raise the pool temp a few degrees as needed, controlled manually. There's no way I'd set it and forget it. I am looking to do something solar down the line, but this solution will work well for those few times when using the pool vs. not using it comes down to whether it's warm enough.
I will talk to the code official to find out the final word, and I'm glad I'm not going in blind.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: