How do I tap off of my large propane tank to run my BBQ grill?

Old 05-26-15, 07:56 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I tap off of my large propane tank to run my BBQ grill?

Hi everyone,
I would like to tap into the large propane tank in my back yard to run my new Weber BBQ grill. I would like to avoid having to deal with the small propane tanks for a grill, and get my propane from the 40+ gallon tank. I would like to do this for two reason, 1. the convenience factor, 2. I must pay a minimum usage fee to the propane company, and I currently don't use enough propane per year to equal the min usage fee. The tank is most likely over sized for the kitchen stove (only use of propane in the house),so the grill would help with the usage.
Currently there is only one line from the tank running into the house. The location of the tank is in proximity to where I would like to place the grill on the deck. So how do I tap into the tank? Is there some type of splitter to use? Are there pre packaged kits that I can buy?
I have attached some pictures for your reference.

Thank you,
ZackName:  rsz_propane_3 (1).jpg
Views: 3978
Size:  40.2 KB

Old 05-26-15, 07:59 PM
Z
One more picture.....Name:  rsz_propane_4.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  42.5 KB

Old 05-27-15, 05:46 AM
M
Although this is a DIY site, I suggest you find a qualified professional for this wortk. I built my house myself, but still paid a pro to run the gas lines since the potential impact of doing them wrong is quite high. It's also illegal in some places for nonlicensed people to do gas work.

Old 05-27-15, 07:57 AM
L
Do what md2lgyk said to do! If the propane company see you have altered the piping, They will not fill your tank. This I know from experience!

Old 05-27-15, 01:13 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
While SOME propane companies might object to filling the tank if any changes have been made in the downstream piping this is in no way universal.

Zack, the first thing to do is to look closely at the regulator on the tank and see if it lists anywhere among all that writing the outlet pressure. It should be 11 inches of water column, often abbreviated as WC. Any other outlet pressure will require the use of an additional regulator to drop the pressure to 11 inches WC for the barbecue.

If you post back with the outlet pressure I will give more information.

Old 05-29-15, 08:32 AM
D
Your grill probably won't use much more than 10 gal a year but it's nice to know you always have gas with the big tank. You can have a propane water heater installed to increase your consumption but operating cost may be the same as electric depending on your propane cost.

When you own your own tank, propane cost is much cheaper to have it filled.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: