Humming in the Plumbing

Old 06-01-15, 08:16 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Humming in the Plumbing

Starting today, we have had a random loud (tubaesque) humming noise when water is running.

First time I noticed it was this morning at the kitchen sink doing some dishes. Turned it off and the noise stopped. Turned it back on and there was no noise. Second occurrence was about 10 minutes ago when my wife turned on the washer. Had her turn it off. Waited a couple seconds then ran hot water in the kitchen and started the dishwasher. No noise. Had her turn the washer back on. No noise.

Pressure valve was replaced just a few years ago. No problems with toilet flappers that I've found.

Old 06-01-15, 10:33 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Humming pipes usually means vibration. Vibration when the water is flowing usually means a loose valve disc. If it happens with water usage anywhere then it is usually the main shut-off or a failing pressure reducing valve. If it only happens when a certain faucet is used then it is either that faucet or the branch shut-off valve for that particular fixture.

Old 06-02-15, 05:56 AM
H
Happened again last night at a sink upstairs and after flushing a toilet this morning. I really hope it's the pressure valve as I might be able to get that replaced for free since it's only a couple years old. If it's failing, will a pressure gauge start to show a high reading with it being this random?

Is replacing the main valve going to cost about the same as the PRV did? It's hard to tell from online videos if the work is about the same.

Last edited by hmhill17; 06-02-15 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-02-15, 12:27 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I can't speculate on cost because both parts and labor vary widely across the country. If it is the main shut-off you might get lucky in being able to use the shut off prior to the meter or near the street depending on where your meter is located. It might require a call to the water utility and they might charge a fee for the service. In my area they charge $27 for the service.

Some pictures of your installation might help.

Old 06-04-15, 10:36 AM
H
Various pictures of the PRV and line to the outside and the main shut off at the street. Tested the house pressure with a $10 gauge and it was under 60 every time so looks like the PRV is good.

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  32.6 KB
Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  20.5 KB
Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  32.6 KB
Name:  image1b.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  49.9 KB

Old 06-04-15, 11:45 AM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Not sure it applies in your case but I have a new hum as well. It seems that if I pull the kitchen faucet spout (pull down type) out too far, it must develop a kink in the line and it starts to hum. As soon as I release the it or allow it to retract slightly, the hum goes away. The line is a flexible line so it can move and kink. The same theory applies in your case as you are looking for something that can move/vibrate and cause a restriction. It sounds like you are on the right track since the sound is not tied to a single line or faucet.

- Peter

Old 06-08-15, 08:55 AM
H
Had a few people tell me it could be air in the pipes. Not sure how air would get in there. Is that a possibility?

Old 06-08-15, 09:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Because I live up high on a hill I get air in my pipes most everytime the water goes out. I don't recall the pipes humming from it. The air is forced out when taps are opened when the system fills back up with water.

Old 06-08-15, 08:29 PM
H
I had air in the pipes after it was shut off by a plumber, but that just caused spurting as the water filled the pipes. Something I did find is that there apparently used to be a whole house water filter that the previous owners must have never used. It's not capped or anything, so there's an occasional drip. Doubt it's related to the sound though.

No noise today that I heard. Just had to deal with a dishwasher that wasn't draining because the drain tube fell to the floor. I have no idea how they had it secured when it was installed 18 months ago. No hooks, tape, nothing.

Old 06-18-15, 05:55 AM
H
New symptom, sort of. Same humming sound when the dishwasher was running. It stopped making the noise after a minute, maybe less.

My plumber can't get out for a couple more days, hopefully it will be something the water company covers.

Old 06-26-15, 06:46 PM
H
Some new symptoms:

When the noise started today while the dishwasher was running, I ran the sink and the volume went down. When I turned off the water, it went back up. Then I flushed the toilet 10 - 15 feet away and the noise went away completely.

Old 07-16-15, 05:15 PM
H
Problem solved

They adjusted the prv and the noise stopped.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: