Sink Drain Pipe Broken / Rotted From Wall (with photo)

Old 06-21-15, 08:52 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sink Drain Pipe Broken / Rotted From Wall (with photo)

Moved my vanity and discovered this. I am a complete novice but have changed P-Traps and faucets before. I did not encounter this issue though.

How do I replace this?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Name:  IMG_20150621_094758.jpg
Views: 12875
Size:  32.0 KB

Old 06-21-15, 10:18 AM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
rotted pipe

Hi, it looks to me like your rotten metal pipe goes into a nut that's on a fitting just inside the wall. The nut looks like it's just sticking out past the wall. I'd try to remove that nut with channel-lock type pliers. If you can get it off, it should be fairly obvious what to do next. My guess would be that the rotten pipe slides in to the pipe in the wall, and the nut pinches a compression seal to seal the pipe and hold it in place. Might be 1.25" or 1.5" pipe- both available at box stores, along with trap, etc. Good luck, Steve

Old 06-21-15, 11:00 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I will give it a try.

Here is another image that may make it more clear.
Name:  aMUeiB0.jpg
Views: 8507
Size:  33.7 KB

Old 06-21-15, 12:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I think I can see the remains of the hex where the sink drain screwed into the fitting in the wall which is probably cast iron. I wish I could tell you it will be easy to get out. I'd spray the fitting with penetrating oil like WD-40 if you've got it. Then get the biggest pipe wrench, channel lock pliers or Crescent wrench you can get your hands on and pray it breaks free. You'll probably be in an awkward position and not able to put your full strength into it so a big wrench really helps. If your wrench retains it's grip but you run out of strength then a length of pipe slid over the wrench to lengthen the handle will increase your leverage. If you still can't get it free post back.

---
Feel or look inside the fitting to see which way the pipe goes in the wall. If it goes horizontally I unfortunately see the bottom side of cast iron pipes rust through when the drain pipe feeding it is in as bad a condition as yours. If your pipe goes horizontal just keep it in the back of your mind to be on the lookout for leaks. If it does rust through and start leaking the only fix is to open up the wall and replace it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: