Is a sewage check valve a possible solution to my problem?

Old 06-29-15, 06:49 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is a sewage check valve a possible solution to my problem?

I recently bought a property with two one story buildings on it. They are old and not very well maintained, but that's what I could afford.

Seller managed to word the documents, so I can't go after him for not fully disclosing major problems with plumbing. So now I am stuck with trying to figure this thing out by myself, hopefully with your help of course

Both homes are draining to the same main and then to the city sewer main. One of the properties seems to be lower (maybe sunk over time or was built that way) on the grade than the other and it looks like it has at least a little negative pitch on the sewer pipe going to the other property.
Tenants apparently always had problems with sewer backup, but now it became every other day occurrence.
I replaced damaged (someone drove into it) clean-outs and found some rocks and debris inside the pipe and augured the rest of the run to the alley. The problem, I suspect, is in the old cast iron pipe that runs the rest of the way to the alley. Short of cutting the driveway and replacing that old piece, probably 20 - 25 ft, is there anything I can do?
Can I use the check valve between two properties to prevent the backflow from one property to the other? Something like this?
Oatey 4 in. PVC Backwater Valve-43904 - The Home Depot

For some reason my file upload does not work, I may post the pictures as a follow up.

Old 06-29-15, 08:35 AM
N
Here is a link to Photobucket,

New cleanouts -

I think this is the culprit bottleneck spot where it goes into cast iron pipe

may work of may not, but at least I tried.
Upload still does not work

Old 06-29-15, 08:53 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
What size is that pipe?
A main drain should have been at least 3" and for two houses it should have been at least 4".

Old 06-29-15, 08:59 PM
N
The cast iron, I assume was 3" at one point, now definitely less.

Old 06-30-15, 10:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
If you have such shallow pitch that you think part of it may be pitched in the wrong direction I would not install a check valve. The last thing you need is something in the line to restrict or even be a bump to the flow.

Since you are in a big city I'm sure there are many contractors that can repair or replace the drain line without digging. If there is not proper fall in the existing line the best and least expensive solution may be to dig.

Old 06-30-15, 04:36 PM
N
Thank you Pilot,

I had a contractor give me an estimate with digging - $8k+ & no guarantee it will work after replacing the pipe because he was not sure if it will have a positive pitch.
Although it may, or may not be a fair bid, I can't afford it right now after spending all I had on renovation of this property to rent it out
I have seeing somewhere online a process of replacing the old pipes without digging, it looked even more expensive than what he offered. So yes, digging is probably least expensive, but as soon as I start thinking permits, my wallet starts levitating...

Old 07-01-15, 06:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Yea, in my area trenchless replacement is more expensive than digging. It's generally done when someone has a nice lawn they don't want torn up and they don't mind paying the price.

It may be worthwhile renting a transit or laser level and check the elevations. Looks can be deceiving but you must have a certain drop in elevation to make poo flow downhill. If you don't have enough fall you could consider adding a pump tank or sewage ejector pit. The waste flows into the tank where a pump pumps it up and out to the sewer. Depending on the size needed pre-fab systems start around $500.

Old 07-01-15, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Can I use the check valve between two properties to prevent the backflow from one property to the other?
If one property is backing up the other then its a clogg after where they tie in together..

Best option IMO is to get a camera inspection done on both homes. If there was not enough pitch there will be standing water in the line..

Last have the camera run out from the clean out to the old cast iron to the street. I bet you may find the cause there.. Roots maybe? This can be treated. Partial collapse? Can be repaired..

Trench-less replacement on a sewer line that is already not pitched correctly will net you the same thing. The new pipe just follows the old pipe..

Old 07-01-15, 07:58 PM
N
I was actually considering the ejection pump for the problem property, but then, wouldn't I still need a check valve someplace between two properties to prevent the flow of goodies to the property that's now ok?
I hired a company to do the camera inspection. They did say that pipe is full of water and they can't see beyond that.
I had a problem trusting them because they were constantly selling me on replacing the CI pipe. Still got another message from them today, that price is good for 30 days and they do financing.
Please answer this question for me:
If the pipe is not pitched correctly and there is constantly standing water in the pipe, how is it still draining anything? Especially solids!
Thanks,

Old 07-01-15, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
If the pipe is not pitched correctly and there is constantly standing water in the pipe, how is it still draining anything? Especially solids!
Thanks,
Water seeps its level...

I would not trust any camera inspection unless I saw it for my own eyes...

Old 07-02-15, 04:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
There may be a low spot in the pipe holding water but when enough water backs up behind it it will push the water through. It's a big problem though as solids want to settle out in the low spot especially when the flow stops. Clogging and slow drain problems are probably the norm.

Old 07-02-15, 07:33 PM
N
Thanks!
I think I saw a camera rental at Home Depot, last time I rented a snake. Could be well worth a try, instead of guessing if the guy is telling me the truth.

Old 07-02-15, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Let us know what you turn up!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: