connecting to kitchen sink drain.

Old 06-30-15, 09:05 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
connecting to kitchen sink drain.

I have a 2 inch drain vented with 1 1/2 coming from kitchen sink on first floor to the basement into a floor drain. Can I tie the basement washing machine and Wash tub into that same drain? If so would the 1 1/2 vent suffice for all three if I tie into that as well.
Thanks

Old 06-30-15, 05:03 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The question isn't the vent. The question is where does the floor drain go? Water from sinks or toilets are supposed to go to a sewer line. Floor drains usually don't go to the sewer line. From being around this forum, I have come to the realization that the plumbing in many places doesn't follow the current code. Even if the floor drain goes to a sewer line, I doubt that it would handle the water from both of those places, at the same time.

Old 06-30-15, 06:36 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Nope, washing machines need a 2" drain in addition to what's already been suggested.

Old 06-30-15, 07:28 PM
B
I believe i may have misspoke. The floor drain ties into the main sewer. From your answer I need to put in another 2 inch drain in the basement floor which connects to the main sewer, which can be done. Is this correct?

Old 06-30-15, 07:34 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
No, if you are going to add the washing machine to the main sewer line, it can't go through the floor drain. It has to have a direct connection.

Old 07-01-15, 07:49 AM
B
Ok. Thank you for the response. Just so I'm clear on this. I will need to dig up the basement floor and put a tee in the main sewer and have a separate 2 inch to that tee. Correct?

Old 07-01-15, 10:43 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Can you take a picture or sketch a drawing? I think we may be picturing something different than what you actually have.

Your washing machine will need a 2" drain and 1.5" vent. It may be able to tie into the kitchen drain as long as it ties into the main drain as we would expect it to, and doesn't really drain into the floor drain.

Your new washing machine hookup will need its own 1.5" vent and won't be able to be 'wet-vented' via the kitchen drain, but you may be able to get away with an AAV (Studor vent).

Hopefully you won't have to break up the concrete floor... but we won't know without more details.

Old 07-01-15, 02:33 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Isn't there a section of the main drain that can be accessed without digging?

Old 07-02-15, 07:55 AM
B
It definitely does not go into the floor drain. The 2 inch tap is well before the floor drain. Sorry that was my fault for not being clear. I think you guys have answered my question. Thank you for your time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: