Water hammer when faucet is turned off AND on.

Old 06-30-15, 03:39 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water hammer when faucet is turned off AND on.

Hello! We have a garden hose faucet that makes the typical water hammer noises, both when turning it on AND when turning it off. The weird thing about it is that it is considerably WORSE when turning it on/off slowly. In fact, if I choke it down and turn it so that it is just barely on, it will continue hammering without stopping. Same thing when I turn it on: if I turn it slowly, it hammers away until I quickly open it completely.

Other faucets and taps in our house also have some minor hammering, usually consisting of a minor "thud" when the water is turned off SUDDENLY (opposite of the garden hose). What in the world is going on here?!?

Old 06-30-15, 04:14 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This is usually caused by one of three conditions. You either have excess water pressure, excess air in the lines, or loose/missing pipe supports.

To handle excess air, shut off the water supply at your main shut off. Open both the highest and lowest faucets on the property and let the water drain out of the lowest fixture. Once it is done draining, close both faucets and open water supply valve.

Loose or missing pipe straps will allow piping to flex under the strain of fixtures calling for water supply. As a general rule all piping should be supported at every change in direction, and approx every 4 for all straight runs.

If water pressure is your problem, a pressure reducing valve may be an option. Most homes should have about 50 psi of pressure. If you have a well, it us possible that your bladder tank is failing.

Best of luck!

Old 06-30-15, 05:39 PM
A
Received 276 Upvotes on 252 Posts
Could be a loose faucet washer or some foreign object in the garden hose faucet.

Be careful when taking apart the faucet, you don't want to twist the whole thing out of the wall.

Old 06-30-15, 08:53 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I agree with Allan, a loose faucet washer (properly called a valve disc) is the most likely problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: