Extracting Cleanout from Female fitting

Old 07-01-15, 05:01 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Extracting Cleanout from Female fitting

What is the proper technique for removing a 4" PVC cleanout from the fitting if it is stuck?

Ive always heard folks refer to drilling out a cap but I have no idea how that is done or if that is possible with PVC.

How do you extract this from the fitting without damaging the female threads?

Old 07-01-15, 05:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
If you've stripped out the male or female square fitting that's used for removing it then it's time to destroy the cap. I've used two methods.

1. I drill two holes in the face of the cap, near the edges and opposite each other. Stick a screw driver into each hole. Then use a piece of wood or anything between the screw drivers to turn the fitting.

2. Next I use a chisel and hammer. Drive the chisel at an angle into the cap near the edge and hammer it in the direction to unscrew the cap. If the cap doesn't rotate then you're on your way to cutting a tab. Be careful not to hit the female threads but try to cut the cap as close as possible to the edge and create a tab you can grab with vice grips. Then pull the tab to the center of the fitting to get the outer edge of the cap to pull and tear away from the female fitting. Basically you just hack the cap apart then use pliers to pull the threaded part of the cap away.

Old 07-01-15, 02:09 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just to clarify that we are on the same page, this is PVC I am asking about....

After all that you describe, are the female threads OK?

Old 07-01-15, 02:28 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
PVC or ABS the procedure is the same. As for the threads being okay, it depends on how careful you are with the saw if you have to saw out portions of the plug.

When you replace the plug (new plug) use some plumber's grease on the threads rather than any kind of thread sealant and that includes Teflon paste. Don't tighten the plug any more than absolutely necessary to prevent any leakage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: