Outdoor freeze proof faucet issues of an odd kind

Old 07-08-15, 08:33 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor freeze proof faucet issues of an odd kind

Hello!
Our house has two freeze proof faucets, and one is working fine. The other, however, is having a weird issue that I cannot find an answer to.

When there is only a hose hooked up to the faucet, it works fine. As soon as I put a garden nozzle on the end of the hose, water will shoot out of the anti-syphon part. No water will come out of the nozzle.

I have tried a different nozzle. I have replaced the vacuum breaker. I have tightened, loosened, checked and double checked the vacuum breaker. And still, I cannot get the faucet to work with a garden nozzle.

Any thoughts on why this is happening? I don't know what else to try.

Thanks so much.

Old 07-08-15, 01:33 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I'd say you need to replace the vacuum breaker valve if you hadn't already done that. Are you certain it was the correct part for your faucet?

Are you certain the leak is coming from the vacuum breaker? Could it be coming from someplace close by say if the faucet body itself is cracked? You can put a hose without a nozzle on the spigot and turn on the water. Then slowly kink the hose so you can control the back pressure and hopefully spot the source of the leak. If it still looks like the vacuum breaker I'd say try another one. It's possible the replacement part was bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: