Double kitchen sink lack of water flow - mystery

Old 07-08-15, 01:53 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Double kitchen sink lack of water flow - mystery

New plumbing has been installed from underneath the sink to the sewer pipe. The cloth washing machine is connected to this drainage pipe. When I turned the faucet on in one sink, it fills up in the other sink. I ran a 25 foot snake in the pipe...the drainage pipe length is only about 16'. It came out clean. I also ensured that the drainage pipe was pitched correctly and it is. Then I installed an air admittance valve and still the water doesn't flow down. All of the pipes are clear (no hidden valves on the inside). Really frustrated.

Old 07-08-15, 03:25 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Did the problem start after the new plumbing was installed? Does it happen all the time or only when the washer is running?

Old 07-08-15, 04:57 PM
P
Was the washer hard piped into the drainage pipe? In my locality washers are to discharge into an "air gap", meaning the end of the washer hose is loosely set into a larger diameter pipe or laundry tub, thereby allowing the system to vent.

If the washer is on a lower level than the sink in question, it may be the washer discharge that is causing the slow drain......

Old 07-10-15, 08:42 AM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
In my area the washer ties into a separate 3" stack.

Old 07-10-15, 10:05 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

When I turned the faucet on in one sink, it fills up in the other sink.
This points directly either to a clog or a seriously incorrect piping. A venting issue might cause a slow drain or 'glug glug' issues, but wouldn't cause a backup into the second sink.

Does it start backing up immediately? Or does it take 45-60 seconds to start backing up? Without doing the math, it should take about that long if the blockage is in the stack. If it's sooner than that, maybe there's a problem with the trap.

Can you take a few pictures and post them?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: