High water pressure - have replaced my PRV and water expansion tank

Old 07-10-15, 06:03 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
High water pressure - have replaced my PRV and water expansion tank

Over several weeks, I would hear a high pitch noise after flushing some of our toilets in my house or using certain sinks. I checked my PSI - 120 to 140 psi. I changed out my PRV - noise stopped but pressure still too high. Valve installed correctly with the arrow in the right direction. I was told to check my hot water expansion tank - checked it and it was filled with water so I changed it out and set the new tank to 60 psi. I was all excited my problem was solved - unfortunately not. Pressure still reading at 120 to 140 PSI. Besides the pressure still being too high, I notice the pipe coming into my basement right before the PRV vibrates for several seconds when a toilet is flushed or water turned on. New issue - when I flush a toilet, pressure drops drastically. I am baffled - what should I do. Change out the new PRV to see if it is defective??

Also, do I need to worry about my new expansion tank bladder rupturing since my pressure is still too high?

Old 07-10-15, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
welcome to the forums..

I changed out my PRV
What prv did you buy? They are usually preset at 50 psi. You should not have 120 psi with the proper PRV installed....

New issue - when I flush a toilet, pressure drops drastically. I am baffled - what should I do. Change out the new PRV to see if it is defective??
Sounds like prv not correct psi range or defective...

Post make and model of what you bought..

60 psi is fine for the exp tank.. You added 60 psi before you installed the tank right?

Old 07-10-15, 06:15 AM
F
Model and brand

CASH ACME(Sharkbite) EB-45 Regulator. Yes - I did add the air to the tank before installing. 60 PSI

Old 07-10-15, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator
where are you testing the psi of your home? A screw on gauge at a hose bib? Is the gauge accurate?

You did not touch the bolt on top of the PRV did you?

Old 07-10-15, 08:26 AM
F
Gauge

Testing on hose bib, basement shop sink - all reading high. Bought a second gauge - both reading high. I did dial back the bolt on the PRV after testing it multiple times. No reduction in pressure.

Old 07-10-15, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
http://www.cashacme.com/cashacme/wp-..._Spec_2014.pdf

That is a regulating valve and has no check valve. That is the wrong part. Its not a PRV. Its will reduce flow when water is running but will not decrease static psi...

This is what you want...

Watts 3/4 in. Brass FPT x FPT Pressure Reducing Valve-3/4 LF25AUB-Z3 - The Home Depot

Old 07-10-15, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Maybe it does have a check... I would return it for another one.. If that dont work get the watts............

The valve shall have a bronze body, brass and stainless steel
internals, an EP diaphragm, stainless steel strainer screen and an inbuilt back
pass check. The valve shall be a Cash Acme EB45

Old 07-10-15, 09:03 AM
F
Thank you!

I want to first say thank you for all of your help. Very kind. When I went to home depot the person who waited on me told me to use the EB-45 Regulator. The link you sent me looks exactly like my old valve. I am curious - when would one use the EB-45 that I installed versus what you are telling me to use.

I am going to check it but do think my new expansion tank is damaged since the
pressure was still high when I installed it.

Again, thank you again!!!

Old 07-10-15, 09:46 PM
F
All is well!

After installing a PRV and a hot water expansion tank, my pressure was still high. I bought a another PRV and installed it. All is well now. The first CASH ACME PRV was defective and after purchasing a second one, I realized the initial valve was an older model and based on how the box looked, it may have been returned to home depot before being sold to me.

Thanks to all for our help.

Old 07-10-15, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
That kind of stuff happens more than you think. If at all possible never buy a non-factory sealed box and inspect it immediately.

Someone once returned a breaker panel box with 3 bricks taped together inside. Another time, 1000 lf of moulding that they had stolen off a job site and attached a single store UPC sticker to. I still think both were part of a bigger conspiracy.

Glad you got it fixed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: