Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Do I have to replace a Pressure Regulator Valve or can I turn down the pressure?

Do I have to replace a Pressure Regulator Valve or can I turn down the pressure?

Old 07-10-15, 11:19 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Do I have to replace a Pressure Regulator Valve or can I turn down the pressure?

I found I have a bad PRV, and I turned down the pressure enough that I no longer have super high water pressure. I know I probably should change it, but if I don't is turning down the pressure enough until I can get to it or is it the kind of fix which is an emergency?

Thanks.

Old 07-10-15, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Welcome to the forums...

How do you know the prv is bad?

If you lowered the psi by turning the nut CCW and your static psi is below 80 psi then all is good...

Also when you run water the dynamic pressure should stay constant depending of GPM used in the home...

So possible the PRV just went out of adustment due to sediment build up. And adjusting the nut moved the internals enough to allow it to function again... If there is a strainer on it , it should be removed and cleaned..

Also if you noticed high psi in the home it may not be the PRV.. It could be the expansion tank has failed.. ( If you have one) Should be on cold main or near the HWH.....( Water heater)

Old 07-10-15, 11:40 AM
T
I never have put in an expansion tank when the County installed their backflow "piping" at the street. I have had no problem until now. My water heater is very old, like 17 years, and yes I know I need a new one, but I can't right now. I have had pinhole leaks at the top of the heater. I put compound. It appears to still have a very small leak at the base where is screws into the water heater, but no way to put compound on that.

The pressure at my garden hose is straight from the road and is 110. At the cutoff valve in the house is the PRV. I saw that has a very small drop on it of water, a leak I suppose.

The only thing different I have other than that was clear out a drain that goes to septic. I had to snake it out, but that is the outgoing black iron pipe.

edit: Thanks for the welcome!

Old 07-10-15, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
The pressure at my garden hose is straight from the road and is 110.
OK

What is the PSI read in the home with nothing running?

Run water at the tub and tell us the psi?

Old 07-10-15, 12:38 PM
T
Where do I put the gauge for inside the house?

Old 07-10-15, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
washing machine hose bib... Remove one hose...

Old 07-11-15, 03:27 PM
T
I put it on the cold and turned OFF the water at the regulator. It comes in the house, goes to a cutoff valve and just beside it is the reducing valve. Even though the water was off at that part of the system, I got a 110 psi!

I traced the pipes. They do go the pipes I mention above.

Does this mean I need an expansion tank?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: