almost "vacant" house; plumbing

Old 07-11-15, 10:22 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
almost "vacant" house; plumbing

Hi to all,
I have an aunt, mid 80s, who for a variety of medical reasons, has been placed in an assisted living facility. She lived alone, and will not be returning to her house. Selling her house is not an option at this point.
My cousins asked me what should they do regarding plumbing, appliances, HVAC etc.
I told them to clean out all refrigerators, unplug other kitchen appliances, tvs, etc.
She never used the central air, and when it turns cold, they will keep the thermostats at a “cold but not pipe freezing level”.
I’m not sure what other advice to give them-in any areas –even ones that we did not think of.
One of her sons lives about 10 miles from her house, and said that he would visit “every week or so”, and flush toilets, run water in sinks and showers. Is that necessary? Is there a better way to address the plumbing?
(They seem to feel that it would be unwise to shut down the plumbing.)
Any other areas of concern and/ or suggestions?
Are there any links to/for guidance in situations like this?

Thanks in advance.

(Mods, would it be inappropriate to post this in other sub forums?)

Old 07-11-15, 10:45 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I'd shut off the main water line, ever seen a house where A pipe broke and has been allowed to run for a week?
Try to sell asap, going to do nothing but cost someone money to own it and it's going to go down hill fast with no one to keep it up.
Plus far more likely to be broken into and have someone steal all the wiring and plumbing.

Old 07-11-15, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Plus far more likely to be broken into and have someone steal all the wiring and plumbing.
LOL Joe... Your advice below is not very welcoming...

The median family income is $118,984 in park ridge. Not sure if people will be stealing copper in that neighbor hood

OP said

Selling her house is not an option at this point.

You said

Try to sell asap

Please try to give better answers..

To the OP,

She never used the central air, and when it turns cold, they will keep the thermostats at a “cold but not pipe freezing level”.
One of her sons lives about 10 miles from her house, and said that he would visit “every week or so”, and flush toilets, run water in sinks and showers. Is that necessary? Is there a better way to address the plumbing?
Have the water lines blown out with a compressor. Basically winterize the home as far a water pipes go.. Call a local plumber to have this done.

They will antifreeze the drains/traps as such too.

This will eliminate you having to leave the heat on for the winter, and worrying about anything freezing.

They seem to feel that it would be unwise to shut down the plumbing
Why???

(Mods, would it be inappropriate to post this in other sub forums?)
Here is fine...

Old 07-11-15, 11:49 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Mike,
Having lived in NJ I would actually be concerned about an unoccupied house getting stripped. Along that line of thinking, if you knew of someone you wouldn't have problems with in the future, could you offer it for a really low rent and have someone there? Basically, you will probably have to clean the place up to eventually sell it, so just rent it in the mean time.

Bud

Old 07-11-15, 12:44 PM
M
Good input gentlemen.Thanks as always.
Some replies: Regarding selling the house now, and dangers about break-ins, etc.: The house is in a good neighborhood, with great neighbors, who have been "keeping an eye on things" as her health has declined, but I agree that a quick sale would make more sense. Unfortunately, she went into the Assisted living place only after making her kids swear to "not sell my house while I am still alive"..... { I think that she said that because she holds out hope that she will be returning "home", but that, sadly, is wishful thinking.}

regarding the plumbing: The "kids" (ages 57 and 53 ) said that they "just don't feel right doing that". That baffles me, and I think that I'm going to try to more strongly encourage that move (winterize the house-thanks for the specifics). That said, I'm just their cousin, the decisions are theirs, and I think the emotions involved in the situation is having an impact.

Anything else to keep in mind?
As always, thanks.

Old 07-11-15, 01:17 PM
B
Having cared for my father and both of my wife's parents in their final years I gained a new understanding about how necessary it is for them have something to hang onto. When they (myself in a few short years) reach that stage they have lost almost total control. Their verbal requests are about all they have left.

If no one will be in it as you describe, I would vote for winterizing it. I too have seen homes where broken pipes ran for a long time and almost totaled the house. Be sure they notify their insurance company as the occupancy goes to zero, they may have some input, since they are on the line for possible damages.

Bud

Old 07-11-15, 03:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
In my area, if the last person in the house goes into a assisted living/nursing home the state will take her assets to pay for her care. This can go back 4 years so a quick sale may not matter.

I would turn off the water. It can be turned on again when somebody comes by and runs the water to keep the traps full. Be sure to turn off the water heater and any electrical appliances at the electrical panel.

Old 07-12-15, 04:21 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
In my area the biggest problem is squatters moving into a vacant house. After they have been there for 30 days it takes a court-ordered eviction to get them out and THAT is a huge and expensive hassle.

The "type" of neighborhood (i.e upscale or one with people with higher incomes) means absolutely nothing as far as keeping out squatters OR for protection against druggies (or others) stripping the house of all copper or other materials of value. Truth is, the squatters prefer the upscale neighborhoods as they are often easier to fool the neighbors into believing they are renting rather than squatting. Plus, why squat in a cheap house if you can do so in an expensive house?

Pretty unlikely that plumbing traps would go dry in a month, so no need to run the faucets on a weekly basis. One reason to NOT secure the plumbing during anything other than winter is if the yard is landscaped to the point of needing irrigation. Nothing transmits "empty house" quicker than a yard being let go to seed and this is a huge "welcome" sign for squatters and vandals.

I don't know about other areas, but in mine most insurance companies will not honor a policy covering a vacant house for more than 30 days unless it is actively for sale. There are also the recurring charges of water, sewer, electricity and telephone services and even if these utilities will not be used there is almost always a monthly minimum imposed just to maintain the service. If there is a monitored alarm system that does NOT use a cellular telephone link to the monitoring station then you need the land-line link at the going rate for telephone service (about $35 a month in my area) in addition to the monthly monitoring fees. Some places will have mandatory garbage service fees as well. And don't forget the accruing taxes. All these fees and taxes can easily run $150 or more a month not including the tax billing.

Honestly, the idea of a rent-paying tenant is the best if you cannot sell it. Down side is that few tenants will be likely to take a month-to-month lease on a house knowing they may be asked to leave with only 20 days (or whatever is legal in the area) notice. If the "children" know for a fact that their mother will never be able to return to the home then it would be easier for them to find a tenant.

Old 07-12-15, 06:47 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Bud is correct about the stripping of the pipes and wiring. No matter what neighborhood. I would install an alarm system post haste. Simplisafe might be a good choice. I would not shut off the water. I think it's best to keep the plumbing in working order than let it stand idle for long periods. Once a week use should be sufficient. But turn off all outside hose bibs. Have relatives stay at house overnight. Sale at this point is not and option. How about renting it out. Use random lights both inside and out. Ask neighbors (and pay them) to check on it regularly.

Old 07-12-15, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator
I failed to mention,

Dont forget to have the boiler winterized too if you choose that route and if you have a boiler. A plumber will add antifreeze.

If you leave the heat on in winter and the heat fails burst heating pipes cost lots of $$$ to repair and are a PITA...

Im from North Jersey originally and know the area very well. Most homes were/are steam or hot water baseboard.. If a heating pipe burst it may flood the home just like water pipes..

You may want to get a t stat that has wifi. This way the temp of the home can be monitored from computer or smartphones. If you see a cold situation a realitive can react quickly and get whatever issue fixed before pipes burst.

I know many said it here but I cannot fathom a home in that area having squatters, copper and wires stripped etc...I guess anything could happen but IMO not happening...

Old 07-12-15, 07:28 AM
M
Again thanks for the input.
More replies:
My cousins told me that the insurance issue has been addressed, policies changed, etc.
At least at this time, my Aunt's frugal lifestyle/decent investments left her with enough money to pay for her care.

I'm going to encourage/bug my cousins to research the idea of winterizing the house, including the boiler, if there is one (I don't recall the type heating system.)
I get the feeling that they don't realize the potential for damage caused by a burst pipe.
Thanks again!

Old 07-12-15, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Let us know how you make out...

Old 07-13-15, 08:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I hate to be a doom and gloom person but if she has a progressive condition like Alzheimer's as opposed to something potentially improvable like cancer such that there is literally no chance of her returning to the home, I would sell it and lie to her about it if she asks. At this point, the family is taking on a significant liability that may not make sense.

Old 07-13-15, 09:12 AM
B
stickshift, although I understand what you are saying, she and I assume the family are apparently well set financially. In the opposite direction, I would clean and decorate the place and provide her with frequent videos of how nice you have her home all ready for her return. Old and sick leaves one with few opportunities to smile and emotions do play a strong roll in our health.

Long before the internet my mother was 2,000 miles away and I was caught in the spot of when to go out to see her, she was sick. Do you wait for the funeral or use the limited time (one week at most for me) to go out while she is alive. Based upon the advice of those at her side I waited (ended up being the wrong choice) but wanted to give her something to smile about. At Thanksgiving dinner I placed a tape recorder in the center of the table and we talked to her and each other so she could feel like she was there.

Bud

Old 07-13-15, 03:00 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Sounds liked you a very caring and considerate person. I salute you! Who really knows what the dying really see and hear. Several years ago I visited a cousin of mine that was in the throws of dying. He tried to speak, but I cut him off telling him I could not understand him and that if he was telling me to go to hell that was alright but if not that was alright too. His personality was such that I'm betting he chuckled to himself when I said that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: