Connecting guest house to existing septic system

Old 07-14-15, 10:28 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connecting guest house to existing septic system

I'm hoping someone can help me out. It looks like my mother in law will be moving in with us, and I want to be able to put up a guest house so we both keep a little space. I'll either go with a small park type mobile home, or a cabin of some sort. Currently I have an aerobic septic system on the west side of my house, and a water well on the east. The only place I can really place a cabin is on the east side, and because the soil where I live is solid rock about 8 inches down, so trenching a 120' sewer line is going to cost a fortune. Because I have a slab foundation, the only clean outs on the east side of my house are about 8-10 inches above the slab. Can I hook to one of those for the guest house? All suggestions or thoughts are welcome, and thanks in advance.

Old 07-14-15, 10:30 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Hang tight for answers here from the pros but have you visited the local AHJ to see what is allowed in your area?

Old 07-14-15, 10:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I'm thinking that the local permit/zoning office will be the one that determines both whether or not the additional housing is allowed and how it must be hooked up to the utilities if it is allowed.

Old 07-14-15, 10:34 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I live in a unincorporated area, so I can do "almost" anything. That said, if it is possible, isn't overly stupid or dangerous and will work without issues I want to consider it. Re-reading that line, there was a time if it wasn't stupid or overly dangerous I wouldn't have bothered. Sucks to get old.

Old 07-14-15, 11:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Even in the country you still probably fall under your counties building codes and the jurisdiction of the health or environmental services dept. They should be your first step. Septic systems are designed for a certain load. That you have a engineered or anaerobic system is not good news. Generally those are only used on sites very limited for space or have poor soil for a traditional system. It also means your system was likely not over sized. So, your current system is likely designed and approved only for your house with it's number of bedrooms.

You may still decide to get wild-n-crazy and sneak your "idea" in without approval. I'm certain it will work for a while and there is a chance could last for years. Just be warned that your septic system was designed to handle a certain load. Go over and damage your system you may be in for major expense to repair or replace it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: