Polybutylene Piping in Louisville, Kentucky Condo Built in 1994 or 1995

Old 07-16-15, 10:34 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Polybutylene Piping in Louisville, Kentucky Condo Built in 1994 or 1995

I have a contract to buy a condo in an eight-unit condo built in 1994 or 1995 in Dorsey Hills in Louisville, KY for a young relative with no do-it-yourself experience. (I live in another state, so cannot help easily). The home inspector identified possible polybutylene piping last week, confirmed today by the seller's plumber. Plumber noted some some piping in master bath had been replaced. Is this a ticking time bomb re: the piping? If so, what would it take to make it okay?

Old 07-20-15, 09:28 AM
M
Yes, PB is a problem. Not so much the pipe, but the fittings. It should all be replaced. There's a reason the stuff has been illegal in new construction for years.

Old 07-21-15, 01:27 PM
B
Understood; a local plumber friend agreed. He said he would never live in a house with polybutylene materials. We recently decided not to buy that condo because, after a professional review of all the piping, we determined we could replace the poplybutylene plumbing visible in the master bath connections, but the unknown of the piping materials between the floor of the condo and the downstairs neighbor was too big a risk. Thank you for your comments.

Old 07-21-15, 03:14 PM
There was a big lawsuit over this piping, but there was also a cut-off date for being reimbursed for the cost of replacing the pipes. This was big in California.
I've seen many re-pipes and the cost was around 5 to 8 grand per unit.

The HOA missed out on the cut-off date, and that's unfortunate. Good decision on your part to stay away.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: