Kitec Plumbing... Need suggestions on soldering and keeping pipe cool

Old 07-16-15, 05:04 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitec Plumbing... Need suggestions on soldering and keeping pipe cool

Hi guys well my washroom reno seems to be one challenge after another.

The water supply lines are Kitec... I'm sure you've all heard the horror stories on it.

Well I was planning on replacing the bath faucet valve from Delta to Moen as the Moen fixture I bought came with it. However I'm not able to do this on my own and a plumber said he will charge $780 to do it!

So I will keep the valve...

My question is I want to run the shower portion from the valve with Pex... As the only spot to build a niche is above the valve area and below the shower head because the other walls are concrete/living space.

Would any of you say not to solder at all? I was planning on cutting the copper about 8 inches up anyways before attached the copper to pex attachment.

What suggestions do you guys have to enure the valve and thus the copper that connects to the Kitex Pex-al-Pex remains cool?

Photo is attached.

Name:  photo(23).jpg
Views: 3847
Size:  24.0 KB

Old 07-17-15, 06:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I would say no soldering. If you are replacing with a new faucet and PEX I'd run PEX all they way up to the fitting for the shower head.

And, if you feel the Kitec (I am not familiar with it) is or will be a problem in the future I would take this opportunity to replace it. At the minimum run PEX out of the wall and to a point you can access in the future. You don't want something knowingly unreliable sealed up in a wall behind a newly installed shower surround.

As for what the plumber quoted... shop around. They must have been quoting more work for $780. Worst case you can buy all the tools you need for less than $100. Many home centers and tool rental stores rent the crimping tools if you don't want to buy.

Old 07-17-15, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I would replace that stuff with pex.. Any opportunity you have..

In fact if it was my home I would replace the piping 100%

The Kitec® plumbing system is for residential use and has been widely used throughout Clark County. The Kitec® plumbing system consists of plastic-coated aluminum pipes and brass fittings. The brass fittings used to connect Kitec® pipe are the subject of this lawsuit. This lawsuit alleges that Kitec® brass fittings are defective because they dezincify. Dezincification is a process whereby zinc leaches from brass, which is an alloy of copper and zinc, thereby creating a white powdery buildup on the inside of the fitting and a weakening of the brass fitting. Dezincification can lead to, among other things, restricted water flow and an increased likelihood of the brass fitting leaking or breaking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: