Found black mold behind my bathroom vanity

Old 07-17-15, 09:01 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Found black mold behind my bathroom vanity

So I found some black mold popping up under the paint on the drywall behind my bathroom vanity. I disconnected the supply lines and drain and pulled it away from wall. I then took a Sheetrock knife and cut a large section out to see what was going on.

All looked wel except the mold...then suddenly a pinhole leak started spraying me. It doesn't continuously happen it's off and on I guess depending on what's going on in the house. It's on the hot water heater line.

Is the remedy to this to turn off the supply line at the hot water tank, cut the affected section of pipe out and replace with a couple fittings, pvc glue, and a new piece of pipe? Then soak the affected wood and area with bleach water to remove the mold, let it dry and replace the Sheetrock? Is there more to it than this?

Old 07-18-15, 04:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
To turn off the water, and if the leak is ahead of the stop valve, you will most likely need to turn the water off at the main shut off, not at the water heater. How extensive is the black mold? Can you see it all? Is it just on the piece of sheetrock you removed, or is it on the framing and the opposite walls sheetrock backing? Mold has a tendency to grow beyond the immediate area, is why I am asking the questions as to the extent.

Old 07-18-15, 05:27 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The black mold is on approx 2' by 2' square on the Sheetrock behind the vanity. When I tore the Sheetrock down, it was brown and fell apart easy. The mold isn't as bad on the framing and is not on the Sheetrock on the other side of the framing. It is on the framing at the base, along the frame member where the pipe attaches and in the hole where the drain pipe and supply goes under the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: