Converting 3 handle shower/tub to single pausi handle.

Old 07-29-15, 12:28 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Converting 3 handle shower/tub to single pausi handle.

Hello,
I am trying to get an estimate on having a 3 handle shower/tub converted to a single valve pausi handle. I will have all plumbing exposed, because I am going to tile the surround when this job is done. I had a plumber tell me this would be a 6 hour job?? I find this to be quite a long time, can anyone tell me if that sounds right? I would think it would be 3 hours tops... thanks

Old 07-29-15, 03:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Why is it every one thinks craftsmen can come in and press a "fast forward" button and do a job in half the time stated? Since this is a DIY forum, we encourage you to do this yourself. You will see that the 3 hour job you wish for will quickly turn into a day and half. I would not think that 6 hours is an out of context time considering he may have to reroute piping, solder, de-solder fittings, provide new support behind the wall for the valve. Remember he is giving an estimate sight unseen, as the wall hasn't been removed yet. His estimate could have been less had the pipes been exposed prior.

Old 07-29-15, 03:49 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Am I getting ripped off?

So, I plan to remove the tub/shower surround tile and backer. Then have a plumber come in and convert an existing 3 handle shower/tub to a single handle, with the pipes exposed. Then, I plan to seal and tile this myself. I had a plumber tell me that it would be a 6 hour job. Does that sound right? I asked a couple friends who do construction on the side at work and they said it would be about a 2 hour job... maybe even less. Can you guys help me out? Thanks!

Old 07-29-15, 03:57 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
The plumber is covering himself for any unexpected problems. Can't blame him. Get more quotes.

Old 07-29-15, 04:02 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Every customer who comes into the store to buy parts for plumbing I ask if it's their first trip. If it is, I tell them they are allowed at least 2 more trips. Plumbing and electrical work always expand to more than what you expect.

He quoted 6 hours. If he completes it in 3, consider yourself lucky and pay the man.

Old 07-29-15, 04:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Old 07-29-15, 04:51 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
What type plumbing is he going to have to connect to?
If it's old steel pipes there may be some issues that may take longer.
Copper, CPVC, Pex, 2 hours max.

Old 07-29-15, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Threads merged..............

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: