Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Debris in hot water line clogs up washing machine screen - need a way to filter

Old 07-29-15, 10:14 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

And yes, I know what it is. What I'm looking for is basically a medium-term but temporary solution until I'm ready to replace an ancient Ruud water heater that I can't find parts for anymore (but which is otherwise performing very well).

Eventually the dip tube will be gone and push will come to shove. But for now I need to install something - even just an additional in-line screen filter - in an accessible place so that I can prevent the debris from blocking up the washing machine's inlet and having to pull out the appliance every time.

Because this is the hot water line, it appears to be eliminating all the normally retailed solutions. Any ideas here?

By the way, I should clarify... The connections for the washer hoses are on the floor, behind an old utility sink that connects with T's coming through the baseboard. This is why I say anything added needs to be more accessible.

Last edited by krazman; 07-29-15 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Additional note
Old 07-29-15, 11:19 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is debris or discoloration seen in the shower too? I don't understand why the only problem is in the wash. Secondly, if you wash the clothes in cold water, you'd never know the difference. Just add a little ammonia, to liquid soap. They will be just as clean.

Old 07-29-15, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I pretty much agree with Pulpo...just use cold water. Most new detergents work just fine in cold. If you need to sterilize or brighten whites..bleach. A bit of extra cleaning...ammonia.

You might be able to put in some sort of inline large particle filter, but it would be a royal PITA to service I imagine. You say it's low, so a regular cartridge filter might be impossible.

I would also think you would be seeing more issues with faucets and shower heads clogging.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: