DIY irrigation kit advice

Old 08-03-15, 12:24 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DIY irrigation kit advice

I purchased a Rainbird lawn irrigation kit and I'm having trouble fitting the watering timer between the spigot and patio. The 1/2" irrigation tubing runs underneath my patio first to reach the lawn but where it comes up from the patio, I have only fixed space to put the watering timer under the spigot. I definitely need a Y connector on the spigot to run my garden hose as well as the 1/2" irrigation tubing. I also still have to drill through a concrete patio paver to actually connect the irrigation hose and that's not an issue but I can't get the hose to line up with the spigot because I have no flexibility. The irrigation hose is sleeved inside of 3 inch PVC pipe under the patio so I only have an inch movement back and forth and the plastic irrigation pipe it won't flex well enough to hook to the spigot.

Name:  54139d1438627092-diy-irrigation-kit-advice-cam01097__1.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  44.4 KB

Name:  54138d1438627020-diy-irrigation-kit-advice-cam01096__2.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  46.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-03-15 at 07:16 PM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-15, 05:31 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
Do not use the Y. Most greatly restrict the flow of water which will hurt your system's performance. If you look up inside the Y you often see that the hole in the ball valve is quite a bit smaller than the hose size. I tried one and the valves only had a 1/4" passage which noticeably reduced the flow without even having anything connected.

I would not put the timer/controller so close to the spigot in a semi-permanent arrangement. It makes it way too easy to leave in place when fall/winter comes around. I don't care about the timer. It's easy to replace when it freezes but it can cause the housing of the spigot to burst inside the wall of your home. Everyone says they won't leave anything connected to the spigot in winter but just read this forum in the spring when everyone turns their spigots back on in spring and have water leaking inside their walls. It's one of those things it only takes one time forgetting and leaving it connected and you could really have a project. If anything I would make up a short 3 or 5' long section of garden hose that you connect your controller to the spigot.

Old 08-03-15, 07:02 PM
D
Thanks for the reply Dane. I understand what youre saying about the narrow quarter inch passage in the Y, but I don't know any other way to do it because I need a garden hose attachment also. If I was to get a brass manifold attachment with multiple spigots, are they all the same with little check ball operation similar to the Y ? As far as the irrigation hose, I thing Im gonna dig around it enough to bend it over to the timer and attach it as is. As mentioned though, that little hose is inside a 3 inch vertical PVC sleeve so Im going to have to cut that in order to make the hose bend far enough over. This will also expose the little poly hose to the gravel and Im not sure if it will resist knicks or cracks, but I feel I don't have many options. If I move the timer away from the wall, Im going to have to drill into my pavers further from the wall and it may become a well for rainwater.

Old 08-04-15, 06:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
I would just have your timer come up straight from your pipe. It will not align with your spigot but a short garden hose in a loop can compensate for the misalignment. It will also allow you the option of running the irrigation directly to the spigot in case your manifold restricts the flow too much. And it's easy to hook and unhook the short hose if you need to attach a garden hose to the spigot.

Since you've gone to so much trouble to run the piping why aren't you going a bit further and tying into the water line inside the house and put the controller inside as well? Are you lucky enough to have a garage on the other side of that wall?

Old 08-04-15, 09:36 AM
D
You're right Dane, it would probably be easier to attach the timer right where the hose is now, and then coil a small section of garden hose. This way, I could raise the timer slightly so that pointy connection is above the concrete paver and the only drill hole I will have to make in the paver will be for the 1/2" hose. I may need to support the weight of the timer with something though because a little movement or stress on that plastic hose connection may cause it to leak while unaware.
In hind site, I could have just run it through that wall and put the timer in the basement, but I would have had to drill the basement wall and then make a fitting to connect the poly hose to the copper in the basement. The basement is unfinished though and the water line is exposed. This existing patio I have was built about 8 yrs ago and the PVC sleeve was buried a foot down at that time with little thought about how to tie in irrigation later so theres a 90 elbow under the house spigot to bring it vertical.