Can I move my Water Main

Old 08-03-15, 01:51 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can I move my Water Main

So I am new to this forum and my house and have a question. I am looking at my basement and planning out where things should go. The Shower and Toilet drains are roughed in. The way the old owner was planing this room was going to make it SMALL and not doable. I want to make the shower longer but the Main water shut off is in the way. Can I move it? or do I need to move the floor drains and stay away from that wall?Name:  IMG_1382.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  36.7 KB Here is a picture to see it better. The wall you see in the middle is the wall I would take out.

Old 08-03-15, 02:06 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Just to keep the terminology straight, it's the service line. The main is in the street. I really can't tell from the pic. The main water valve is near the meter & I don't see a meter in the pic. Are you sure that's what you meant to say?

Old 08-03-15, 02:21 PM
C
Yes its a shut off value and a pressure valve.

Old 08-03-15, 09:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
So that would mean your water meter is outside the premises.

I'm assuming you want to replumb what you have there. You aren't planning to dig down and physically move the line where it comes into the house.... are you ?

I see no reason why you couldn't replumb it. The pipe would have to be run between the foundation and your new framing. I would document where it comes into the house because if it fails you'll need to open that wall up.

I see you have an area boxed out for service. I'd make that a bigger area. Replacing a valve or PRV thru a little access hole is a lesson in futility.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: