Life of washing machine hoses

Old 09-01-15, 02:10 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Life of washing machine hoses

Just went down to the basement and and discovered a small flood. Fortunately the washing machine is in the same corner where I have a floor drain to daylight so it handled 99% of the water. Biggest issue is it sprayed almost 20 feet along that wall and ran for at least a day. Can I say humid down there.

Hose split right at the connection to the washer. Fortunately it was the cold water hose. My question is, how often should these be replaced and should I buy the traditional rubber hose or the more expensive ones covered with a braid.

My first hose failure was at about 15 years, same as this one. My gut is telling me 10 years would be a better number, but not sure if the ones covere with a braid can go longer.

Looking for advice.

As a note, we are in the process of moving the W?D function to an expanded bathroom on the first floor, so avoiding a failure is going to be more important.

Bud

Old 09-01-15, 02:23 PM
J
Received 88 Votes on 81 Posts
Just replace them with braided hoses.

Old 09-01-15, 02:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
I guess I've been fortunate as I've never had a washer hose bust. I've always replace the hoses when installing a new washer but for me, they've always lasted for the life of the washer [15-18 yrs] When I bought a new washer/dryer a few years ago I went ahead and got the braided ones [guess I worry more now that I'm older] and if I remember right, the package said they should be replaced every 10 yrs.

Old 09-01-15, 02:52 PM
J
Received 88 Votes on 81 Posts
And 10 years would be the max.
Any rubber breaks down over the years, hoses, tires, belts, Ect.

Old 09-01-15, 03:05 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I've heard to replace the rubber hoses every five years.

I use the braided ones myself as well.

Old 09-01-15, 04:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
One word.....Flood Safe.....OK, two words. I use their braided hoses on washing machine and dishwasher connections. If they detect an inordinate amount of water going through the pipes, a cartridge shuttles off and you have to reset it.

Saved my bacon in the kitchen when the water valve in my dishwasher broke. I had about a quart or so of water on the floor. I was at work, so I could have had a real flood.

3/4 in. x 3/4 in. x 72 in. Stainless Steel Washing Machine Connectors (2-Pack)-FSE2W72 - The Home Depot

Old 09-01-15, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,416 Votes on 1,310 Posts
Flood Safes are a good idea but can react unpredictably with newer washers as they pulse the incoming water valves.

Braided hoses are the way to go.
Also..... when you move the laundry upstairs you might want to consider either a pan under the washer or a watertight floor with a floor drain.

Old 09-01-15, 07:15 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Thanks all. Braided it will be and the new bathroom will have a floor drain. I will look at the Flood safe as well.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: