RealFlame natural gas firepit installation

Old 09-02-15, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
RealFlame natural gas firepit installation

Hello! Long-time lurker, first post.

Please forgive me if these are foolish questions. We are landscaping our yard in new construction and one of our elements will be a store-bought rectangular natural gas fire table. This one: https://www.restorationhardware.com/...yId=cat2980003

We will be using licensed plumbers and applicable permits, but I want to understand what we're getting into/what our install options are.

Per the instructions (https://images.restorationhardware.c...50079_info.pdf) for this fire table, the appliance connects to our gas source via a flexible metal-mesh tube of 10' length, coming out of the bottom corner of the fire table. This is my question -- are we supposed to bury that 10' tube underground in a pipe or something? Or does it: a) rest on the ground, or b) hang in the air above ground?

Frankly, none of the above seems likely but I'm confused because I can't find info on what type of conduit/sleeve I'm supposed to use to cover this metal-mesh tube so that I can safely run it underground. I'm in Southern CA, BTW.

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-15, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 482 Votes on 452 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Did you read the installation instruction in the link you posted ? They're fairly clear and very helpful.

The manufacturers pictures very cleverly don't show you the exposed gas line when the unit is in operation.

The flex line on your pit has a quick disconnect on it. It does not get buried. It will remain visible. Your plumber will supply a metal gas pipe coming out of the ground with a valve and a quick disconnect fitting where that line would plug in.

Depending how far from the house that unit is..... the gas line may come up an outside wall, then to a valve and then to a quick release fitting.

Old 09-02-15, 01:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
I don't have experience with gas firepits, but I wonder if the pipe that the plumber installs can go from the house underground to underneath the firepit. Then the quick connect connection would be under the appliance, hidden from view.

I think the way it's drawn is assuming it's within 10' of where the gas piping is. In your case, it would be hidden underneath.

That way you won't be burying the flexible hose (which is likely not rated for burial). The plumber will know what's appropriate for underground use in your area.

Old 09-02-15, 04:21 PM
Thank you so much for this helpful reply. Yes, I had tried to read the instructions but my lack of experience led to that blind spot. You just named my confusion -- the fact that the pictures never reference the exposed gas line.

Crap. Is there any way to bury the flex line safely? Or no b/c it has the quick disconnect? If not bury -- could I safely conceal it? Or is this just a bad design period?

Old 09-02-15, 04:24 PM
Thank you for these helpful ideas! I'm going to take these questions to the plumber. Yes, I'm hoping that since I can't bury the hose, I could at least shove it under the unit so people aren't looking at it/tripping over it. I presume there's no safe/approved way to put the flexible hose inside of something, so that the resulting unit would then be rated for safe burial? (Like a sleeve or something?)

Old 09-02-15, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 482 Votes on 452 Posts
There may be a way of hiding the gas line inside...... but without actually seeing your unit the question is hard to answer. In this instance.... your plumber can answer that question best.

Name:  pit.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  29.4 KB