Venting a sewage basin?

Old 09-14-15, 12:41 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Venting a sewage basin?

Hi. I am working on a basement bathroom. I understand that if the sewage basin is not correctly vented then bad things can happen including sewer gas odors, slow drains and water backing out of the bathroom drains.

The sewage pump is connected to the drain pipe from the upstairs kitchen. The sewage basin is not currently vented. The attached photos will help to give you a clearer picture of things.

Is there a problem with venting the sewage basin to either the drain from the upstairs shower or venting the sewage basin to the drain from the upstairs kitchen sink? If so, how can I accomplish my goal of getting the sewage basin properly vented? Anything specific that I should be made aware of?

The main sewage drain has a Y that leads to two bathroom toilets upstairs and that has a pipe that vents out of the roof.

Thank you for your advice.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-15, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
The sewage pump is connected to the drain pipe from the upstairs kitchen. The sewage basin is not currently vented.
The pipe coming from the pit ties into the drain from the upstairs kitchen?

Hi. I am working on a basement bathroom.
Is there a bath now? What drains into the pit? Look under the basement bath sink. Is there an AAV there? That would be your vent..

Old 09-14-15, 02:19 PM
U
Hi Lawrosa,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the pipe from the pit ties into the upstairs drainage pipe for the kitchen. The main sewage drain is in the basement, about 3 feet up from the foundation. So, the dirty water pipe from the pit connects to the dirty water pipe from the kitchen and that kitchen drainage pipe leads to the main sewage drain in the basement. The connection of the sewage pit pipe and kitchen drainage pipe also occurs in the basement.

I looked under the sink in the basement. There is no AAV there. The basement toilet, sink, and shower all drain to the basement pit, then the sewage pump pumps the dirty water to the kitchen drain pipe and then the kitchen drain pipe leads to the main sewage drain pipe.

There is a hole built into the cap for the pit that is made for a sewage gas vent. Can that hole just be capped off?

Old 09-14-15, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
There is a hole built into the cap for the pit that is made for a sewage gas vent. Can that hole just be capped off?

Is it capped now?

Do you know if they ran a vent for the basement bath off the sink line? ( It would be in the wall since you dont have an aav as you stated) It would be run to say the attic and tied into the stack or ran right through the roof..

Normally the ejector gets vented. But if you cap it and the sink is vented I dont see an issue...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56114[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 09-14-15, 03:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 530 Votes on 487 Posts
"Can that hole just be capped off?" That sounds like there is an open hole in the top of your pit. If so then that is what is doing the venting for the tank/pit. But I'd expect you'd be asking for a way to stop the smell. Usually sewage ejectment pits are sealed units with a gasket under the lid and rubber seals where the pipes exit to contain the sewer gasses and smells. It's unusual and probably not right if you just have an open hole in the top. That's probably where the vent should have been.

Old 09-14-15, 04:15 PM
U
Hi. There currently is a open hole in the top of my pit. It is a new installation, so no smell yet. My question is whether I can vent the pit to the upstairs shower drain or the upstairs kitchen drain that leads to the main sewage drain. They are connected to a pipe that vents out of the roof. Thanks.

Old 09-14-15, 04:18 PM
U
Hi. The pit is not capped now. There is no vent for the basement bath off the sink line. My question is whether I can vent the pit to the upstairs shower drain or the upstairs kitchen drain that leads to the main sewage drain. They are connected to a pipe that vents out of the roof. Thanks.

Old 09-14-15, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
I can vent the pit to the upstairs shower drain or the upstairs kitchen drain that leads to the main sewage drain. They are connected to a pipe that vents out of the roof. Thanks.
No... thats wet venting and it cant be done....

Old 09-14-15, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
You need to run a vent up and above all other fixtures on the upper floors or install an AAV id allowed in tour municipality by code...

I cant believe tour bath group in the basement is not vented at the sink with an AAV. I would add one there too...