Dry fit of sink p-trap, too high?

Old 09-23-15, 05:29 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dry fit of sink p-trap, too high?

I was wondering if someone could tell me by the pictures if my p trap setup is ok? Since the water needs to go up to drain I don't know if it's the right way to do it, but I kind of have too since the pipe in the wall is at that height. I can't raise the laundry sink too much because it will have be lifted off the floor.

Name:  IMG_20150922_213427.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  30.1 KBName:  IMG_20150922_213452.jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  30.4 KB

Old 09-23-15, 09:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 849 Votes on 784 Posts
Basically it looks OK. You may want to re-orient it a bit though. It's easier to install sheetrock or any wall sheeting if the pipe comes straight out of the wall and not at an angle. It also looks more "professional".

I don't see it in the photo. Is there proper venting for the drain line?

Old 09-23-15, 10:25 AM
J
Well the left side of the pipe goes to a stand up pipe for the washing machine and the right side of the pipe goes to the main plumbing stack which connect to the city drain and the other portion of that stack vents outside. So I would need to change the wye to be upwards and then 45 from there out the wall?

Old 09-23-15, 10:28 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 167 Posts
Even though the 'input' side of the P trap is low, it will be extended vertically to the bottom of the sink drain. So as long as the sink basin is above the trap arm (horizontal part of the p trap), you're good.

That said, I agree with Pilot Dane that the venting is probably not right. You're not supposed to have a 'drop' after the trap and before the vent. The standard DWV pattern is the wye would be turned straight up, into a 45 and a sanitary tee coming out through the wall to the sink, and up to 42" and vented from there.

Because it's such a small drop, I'm not sure what code says about it, nor do I know if the drain will work well in it's current configuration. Where does the pipe go off to the left?

Old 09-23-15, 11:36 AM
J
The end of the pipe going to the left side of the pipe going through the studs is a washing machine stand up pipe.

Old 09-23-15, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
You cant do that. Well in the US anyway.. You have no vent for the sink. What you have is a wet vent and thats not to code..

You will just suck the water out of one of the traps when the other is used and have sewer gases enter the home..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: