Galvanized Pipes

Old 04-05-01, 07:32 PM
Brent Turner
Visiting Guest
I have a galvanized water supply line that will have to be cut. How do I connect up a new pipe to this because there will be no threads? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-01, 03:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

What type of pipe are you planning to connect to the galvanized?
Is it a hot or cold water supply line?
Can you cut the galvanized in half and remove both ends to the threaded connections?

Old 04-07-01, 01:05 PM
Brent Turner
Visiting Guest
This is a cold water supply line, I would like to connect copper line to this. I can not get to the threaded joint so I was wanting to cut the pipe but I don't have a clue how connect it back up. Do I have to rent a machine to cut a thread on the pipe?

Old 04-07-01, 01:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You can rent a manual threader with the proper sized dies to thread the galvanized (1/2" or 3/4", whichever your pipe is).
You will need a helper to hold the galvanized pipe with a backup pipe wrench to keep it from moving and messing up the other end threaded connection while you thread it.
To transition from galvanized to copper, you will need a di-electric union to prevent electrolysis corrosion between the different metals.

Di-Electric Unions
However, it would be much easier and cheaper for you to use PVC white plastic. Then you would not have to use a threader, and could connect onto the unthreaded end of the galvanized with a PVC compression fitting (rubber gasket).
Check out the different types of connections at the home center plumbing section, and then decide what will work for you.
Threading old galvanized in place will probably create a leak at the connected end, no matter how hard you try to prevent it. Been there, done that. Your choice.
Good Luck!
Mike