Water Hammer Issue

Old 10-17-15, 10:32 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Hammer Issue

I have the dreaded clunk when shutting off water. I have gone through some checks, need help on my options from here.

Symptoms:
1) Flush any toilet in the house get a clunk (top or bottom floor)
2) Turn off a faucet that is fully open really quickly, sometimes get a clunk
3) turn off the shower quickly , get a clunk
4) Seems to be localized to one side of the house

Things I have tried/seen:
1) Whole house water drain
2) Crawled the crawl space looking for loose pipes while my wife flushes
3) Checked the water pressure at an outdoor faucet directly off the house connection to the county, 70psi
4) No PRV at the house connection
5) Toilets - 2 are high efficiency Glacier Bay , 1 is a older Floating Ball type

So looking for options at this point to narrow down cause or fix. Cant figure out if 70psi is too high based on what I read online.

Last edited by grendelrt; 10-17-15 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-26-15, 10:21 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
70psi is on the higher end of acceptable, but still in the acceptable range. You could use a PRV to bring the pressure down a bit, but that would be at the cost of higher pressure that you're used to... so I wouldn't do that.

Toilets are known to cause water hammer, as do electronic valves like dishwashers or washing machines.

I would start with a product like this on your toilets:
660-GTR1 - Sioux Chief 660-GTR1 - Mini-Rester Water Hammer Arrestor - 3/8" O.D. Compression x 3/8" O.D. Female Compression Tee (Lead Free)

Just the addition of these on your toilets may just solve your issue throughout the whole house. Others can be added as needed to your sinks. The shower gets a bit more complicated, so if you don't need to, it would be preferable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: