Sulfide Gas Stink

Old 11-02-15, 02:58 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sulfide Gas Stink

Unfortunately, I know too much about this subject. My first business was HVAC
contracting, and I was asked about that "rotten egg stink" many times. The solution
was relatively easy if it was hot water only. Flushing your heater with bleach or
hydrogen peroxide and replacing the aluminum anode rod with a multi-alloy model
(aluminum/zinc/tin) usually helped a lot.

The nightmare was sulfide gas in the cold and hot water. There are no privately owned
wells in my community. It's all city water. Township water departments follow state
laws about treating and transporting water. If the water tests good, they can't help
you.

I remember installing a few expensive filter systems that were suppose to eliminate
"the big stink." They didn't work.

About ten years ago my family got hit with "the stink." At first it was the hot water only.
Now, it's both hot and cold. We have three bathrooms. For some reason, it's very
noticeable in one bathroom and almost completely absent in the other two. Opening
the valves all the way for five minutes flushes the gas out, but when you lift the toilet
lid it smells like the bowl has never been cleaned!

(I just installed a new gas fired Bradford-White water heater with a multi-alloy rod.)

Sometimes, the sulfide smell goes away for a few days. I don't know why.

I have to admit, once I left the HVAC business for another I stopped reading the
technical literature about new products that may have been developed to cure this
awful problem.

I had the crazy thought of building a tank with a regulating valve that would meter
out hydrogen peroxide. It would probably work, but there has got to be a better
solution.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-15, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
I had the crazy thought of building a tank with a regulating valve that would meter
out hydrogen peroxide. It would probably work, but there has got to be a better
solution.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Bleach injection...

Example....

Well Water Chlorination Systems and Options

Old 11-03-15, 04:03 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Obviously, the anaerobic bacteria that creates sulfide gas is killed instantly with
chlorine. When a client complained about "the stink" I would always recommend
bleach as a flushing agent. If they asked me to do the job, I would wear a full face
respirator because I used commercial strength bleach that burned your eyes, nose,
etc.

Hydrogen Peroxide is extremely safe to use (compared to chlorine).

Chlorine and Flouride are already added to most city water systems. It should knockout
enough bacteria to prevent "the big stink."

Like I said, this problem in my own home gradually got worse over ten years. For awhile
it was only the hot water, so I would flush the tank every three months. Now that this
"disease" has spread to the cold water, I've got to try something that will eliminate the
sulfide gas forever.

I've got a decent shop and I can weld almost anything. Maybe my idea for a tank with
regulating valve is not that crazy.

Thanks lawrosa.