main sewer line house trap??

Old 11-09-15, 04:06 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
main sewer line house trap??

Hi,
I own a 3 family house in Mass.It was built in appox 1920?
I have owned it 15yrs.2 months ago the tenants on the 2nd floor said their toilet got blocked,the plunged it,but that night the main sewer line backed up!
I had a company come and rooter it,they got it cleared.
Last week again,2nd floor tenants had to plunge again,same problem blocked the line again....
Long story short,they got it cleared again and did the camera down the line.Its cast iron,4".They said it looked good,but found a whole house trap near the foundation.They said they used to put these in long ago,but they are problem prone??The recommend digging it up,cutting it out and putting a new pc in with a clean out trap.
Are the prone to problems?why now twice in 2 months?The system must have been this way for 60+ years.Any ideas?Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-15, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
If the toilet cloggs that big wad of whatever will go down the drain and get caught up in the house trap..

Umm tenants?? What are they throwing down there? Baby wipes? Feminine products?

House traps are still required by some towns. These are in place because the sewer mains have a high methane gas content. Without the house traps the smell would be coming out of everyones vent/stacks..

If they are not required in the town then removal is a plus IMO.. But check with the town...

Your issue may be with poorly flushing toilets and or what the tenants are throwing down there...

Champion 4 toilets from American standard would be my recommendation...

Old 11-09-15, 04:43 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Are they using Charmin toilet paper?

Old 11-10-15, 10:15 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 84 Posts
Ran into an issue with a main trap clogged to the brim with those 'flushable' cleaning cloths. They may be marked on the container as flushable, but they certainly didn't make it past the curb trap.

The only thing that should be doing down the toilets are toilet paper and ... well, you know. No baby wipes, clorox cleaning wipes, feminine products, etc. The great thing about toilet paper is that it dissolves quickly in water - and though it can itself cause clogs, it's rare and pretty easy to clear if it does happen.

Old 11-10-15, 03:03 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Used Condoms ought not show up down there either !

Old 11-10-15, 03:25 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
"kan do" baby wipes, from Proctor & Gamble, are marked flushable but they are not. After removing almost an entire package, I tried to contact them but it's hard to get a human being, on the line. I explained to the tenants not to flush them & never had a problem since.

I think I posted something about that incident. I called it No Kan Do.