new question about toilet

Old 04-08-01, 10:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

About a week ago I asked a question about a toilet that wasn't flushing right. After trying everything suggested, I finally wound up replacing the toilet with a new one. Sure enough, Old Guy was right--when breaking up the old toilet for disposal, we discovered an old toothbrush wedged in so tightly that it couldn't be augered out from top OR bottom.

The new toilet is working beautifully, except for a new problem with water hammer. About every fifth flush, there is a water hammer that is quite prolonged (30 seconds or more) and seems to involve all the pipes in the house dancing. I can feel the vibration through the floor, especially in the kitchen (other end of the house). It reminds me of a car that diesels after it has been shut off. This is a new thing that doesn't occur when the other toilet is flushed or water is run through the various faucets.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that the new toilet is the 1.6 kind? Is there anything I can/should do myself? All that rattling around doesn't seem as if it would be good for any of the pipes.

Thanks once again for your help. I thought I was done with plumbing for awhile. :-(

KS

PS The pipes under the house are copper.

Old 04-09-01, 04:53 PM
Visiting Guest
water hammer

you need to install a hammer arrestor in the cold line that will cure your "dancing pipes" and the new toilet is the reason its doing that to

Old 04-09-01, 08:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Where in the cold line should this go? Does it go on the line into the toilet? If it involves cutting into pipes under the house, it is probably beyond my limited skills and would have to wait for the budget to allow a plumber (probably not any time soon.) Am I creating damage in the pipes by letting this go on?

Thanks again.

Old 04-09-01, 09:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Until you can get a plumber to install a hammer arrestor in the cold water line near that new toilet, you might take some small wooden wedges, go under the house and tap them into the holes where the pipe passes through up into the walls or through joists.
You also can get clamps to hold the pipes tightly against wood that they touch.
All of this will help hold down on movement, hammering and noise.
Your copper pipes should be strong enough to take the hammering for quite a while, but do whatever you can to reduce it.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: