sink drain trap falls off

Old 04-08-01, 11:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

The trap under my kitchen sink was clogged so I unscrewed the top collar of the trap (on non-disposal side)and declogged the trap. But now even though I have screwed the collar back on tightly, the top of the trap section pops off the main pipe coming down from the non-disposal side of the sink. It will stay put just running water through, but when I turn on the garbage disposal is slides down off the pipe that comes down from the sink (which it is supposed to screw to the bottom of). HELP please. What do I need to do to secure this, yet still be able to take the trap on and off to unclog the trap?
Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-01, 03:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
If you are talking about the tailpiece that attaches to the bottom of the sink strainer basket, either you lost the little plastic gasket that sits on top of the tailpiece between the basket and the tailpiece, or the nut is stripped out.

If you are talking about where the tailpiece goes into the trap, there is a plastic or rubber compression ring that is supposed to be between the top of the trap and the compression nut. In your case it sounds like it's either missing or worn.