ABS Water Closet Flange Question

Old 12-04-15, 07:41 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ABS Water Closet Flange Question

Hi,

We're renovating a 70s-built bathroom and have removed the tub, toilet, wall tiles and tile (mud job) floor.

Since the toilet flange was not in good shape it came out as well. The drain pipes in our house are 3 inch ABS, so I'd like to simply get a new ABS flange and glue it into the existing pipe fitting.

This fitting looks like it will take a 3.5 inch OD flange. The top of this fitting is about 1.5 inches below the top of the existing plywood floor, so the new flange is going to have to be long enough to extend over the new floor. Once the new floor (tiles over Durock) is in, we can cut the stem the of the flange to get it flush with the tile.

So here's the question: Where can I get a 3 inch ABS flange that will be tall enough to get over the new floor?

Changing the pipe fitting to PVC to accommodate a PVC flange is not out of the question but I'd like to see if we can simply get a an ABS replacement first.

Thanks

Old 12-04-15, 09:04 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Why wouldn't you just glue in a piece of 3" abs to existing closet el long enough to extend above the finished floor. When floors in, cut the pipe flush and drop on a standard 3" ABS closet flange.

If the hub of the closet el has the remains of the old pipe/flange in it, you can remove with a PVC fitting saver tool. Or cut out the el and some of the drain pipe and put in all new.

If you switch to PVC, many codes require using a fernco coupling as they don't allow gluing PVC to ABS.

Old 12-04-15, 10:13 AM
W
Thanks Carbide

Thanks for the advice Carbide, it sounds like it should work as long as I can make a good connection inside the elbow. The inside of the elbow's hub is in pretty good shape. I used a heat gun to get the old flange soft and then wedged a screw driver between it and the elbow. Residue was removed with a round sanding bit on a drill.

Finding ABS in my neck of the woods is not so easy. I'll make some calls to some plumbing specialty stores today. If I can get what I need, I'll try your first suggestion.

Maybe we won't be cutting out plywood after all.

Thanks again.

Old 12-04-15, 11:51 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Finding ABS in my neck of the woods is not so easy.
It isn't sold in my area in the usual stores either. It isn't used either except in mobile homes here so I'd suggest a mobile home supply.

Old 12-04-15, 02:37 PM
W
Thanks Ray

Called around this AM and found that no one carries ABS in stock. The only way I can get what I need would be to order a 20 ft. pipe--and that's about 19 more feet than I need.

At Ray's suggestion, I called the mobile home center that's about 3 miles away and they said they had lots of ABS--pipes and fittings. Gonna swing by tomorrow.

Old 12-04-15, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
The inside of the elbow's hub is in pretty good shape. I used a heat gun to get the old flange soft and then wedged a screw driver between it and the elbow. Residue was removed with a round sanding bit on a drill.

Don't re use that ell.. your asking for trouble IMO...

Get new fittings...

The home store should have all you need...

here...

Search Results for abs flange at The Home Depot

and here...

ABS DWV Pipe & Fittings - Pipes & Fittings - The Home Depot

Old 12-04-15, 07:55 PM
ABS seems to be a regional thing. Checking your first link against 21 stores in my area none carry it. I have never seen ABS at HD or Lowes.

Old 12-15-15, 08:48 AM
W
OK, I followed Ray's suggestion and picked up a piece of 3 inch ABS pipe from the RV store.

Dry fitted it into the existing Wye fitting and it goes in with no problem. It fits fairly snuggly, but it's not as tight as if you were to put a new fitting onto a new pipe. At the top of the fitting there is a small gap between the outside surface of the pipe and the inside surface of fitting. This gap is only on one side and is no bigger than about 1/16 of an inch.

The connection becomes tighter further into the fitting. You can spin the pipe inside the fitting with your hands but it takes some effort.

Any issues here? I'm hoping the glue will fill in and make everything water tight.

thanks

Old 12-15-15, 09:51 AM
It's not really glue. It is solvent cement and melts the pipe together. It should be good.

Old 12-15-15, 10:02 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
It's not really glue. It is solvent cement and melts the pipe together.
Maybe a bit of both. I looked up one brand/formula of ABS solvent-cement earlier today and found out that it was between 90 and 99 percent MEK. The part that was not MEK was dissolved ABS plastic.

So, if you want the solvent-cement to be a bit thicker just stir in some filings from a piece of plastic. This thicker bodied cement will fill any voids.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: