Connecting to new drain line; moving dishwasher drain; etc.

Old 12-04-15, 10:52 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting to new drain line; moving dishwasher drain; etc.

We are remodeling our kitchen. One part of the plan has us moving the dishwasher to a new location. I need to figure out how to connect the dishwasher to the drain line, and I think this is also a good time to put in use a new drain line that the previous homeowner installed but never connected on either end.

This picture shows the new drain line at the top center of the picture. In the background are the current kitchen sink drain and water supply lines. (Yes, the pipe insulation appears to be on the cold water line rather than the hot.)
Name:  KitchenSink.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  39.0 KB

This picture shows the current dishwasher drain - it's the line with the orange/red bands just before the turn.
Name:  DishwasherDrainLine.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  24.7 KB

This picture shows the main drain that both the existing kitchen drain and dishwasher drain connect to. Dishwasher drain line is the copper pipe angling through the joist and connected to the black P(?)-trap. Kitchen drain line is angling from the top right in this picture. You might be able to barely make out another drain branch angling off to the left of the vertical drain pipe. It disappears behind the insulation that is between the joists. I have no clue where it might go as there's nothing over there that would need a drain that I'm aware of. I just noticed that line last night when taking pictures and am a bit perplexed by its existence. I'll have to get up there and see where it goes as soon as I get a chance.
Name:  KitchenSinkDrain.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  43.2 KB

The new approximate location of the dishwasher - immediately to the right of the kitchen sink. Note that it will be located 2-3 joists over from the new white drain line.
Name:  NewDishwasherLocation.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  35.2 KB

The new drain line runs to this location, makes a turn in this picture...
Name:  NewLine2.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  40.7 KB

...and then stops in the location of the other existing drain line that it needs to be connected to:
Name:  NewLineOldLine.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  33.6 KB

Here's a closer look at the existing drain line that it needs to connect to:
Name:  OldLine.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  39.0 KB

Questions:
-How do I connect the kitchen drain to the new PVC drain line?

-How do I connect the dishwasher drain from the new location to the new PVC drain line? The only idea I've come up with is to run a line through the joists, similar to the current setup on the other side of the kitchen. With the new PVC line so high up on the joists though, I don't think I can drill holes for a dishwasher drain line that high in the joists. Is there a different/better way to accomplish this?

-How do I connect the end of the new PVC drain line to the existing cast iron (?) drain line?

-Any concerns with the plans I've outlined here?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-15, 12:20 PM
I'm just going to cut to the chase. It looks like you can cut the cast iron at the line I drew, use no-hub coupler at that point, and then run ABS or PVC up from there.

I would like to see other opinions on this, I have never seen quite a mess like this.

Whatever happens, the dishwasher does not normally use it's own trap. You run the drain line into the sink base cabinet and DW drains into disposer via an air gap, into a branch tailpiece, or into disposer directly using the high loop method.

Name:  Casthubcut.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  40.2 KB

Old 12-04-15, 12:45 PM
J
Thank you for the reply. I'm glad you mentioned the disposer because that might play into this plan as well. We don't currently have a disposer but are planning on adding one during the remodel.

Regarding your recommendation to cut the cast iron and tie into it with ABS/PVC, I'm actually hoping to eliminate that drain line entirely. Here's a sketch of the overall system that might lend some additional understanding.
Name:  basement plumbing sketch.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  22.6 KB

The black lines are the existing cast iron, and the gray lines are existing copper. Blue is the new un-connected PVC. I want to get rid of the two gray lines with red Xs and add new connections where the green lines are.

Last edited by jessman1128; 12-04-15 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-04-15, 07:35 PM
J
Running the dishwasher drain into the sink base would take care of my perceived issue with running the dishwasher drain through the floor joists. So now I just need to know if there's any concern with using the new PVC to bypass the one section of cast iron drain pipe, and if no concern with that, how do I connect brass (I think? kitchen sink drain) to PVC, and how do I connect PVC to cast iron at the downstream end?

Old 12-04-15, 08:42 PM
J
The more I think about this, I'm leaning toward waiting longer to put the new PVC line in-use. Since I can connect the dishwasher drain through the sink base from its new location, that's really the only change I need to make to any of the drain lines. Bypassing part of the cast iron by using the PVC line can wait until after the kitchen remodel is done.