is GE II silicone safe around solder joints?

Old 12-19-15, 08:56 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
is GE II silicone safe around solder joints?

I've read it may be acidic and attack solder joints.... Should it not be near soldered joints?

Old 12-19-15, 09:48 AM
Is this related to your other post, tub spout stub out?
I wouldn't caulk that gap. Czizzi also advised against caulking it.

You can caulk the spout around the perimeter where it meets the wall tile. If you want to fill the gap behind it, I would recommend caulk backer rod stuffed in the crack.
The backer rod is a spongy rope, available in several diameters.

Old 12-19-15, 10:57 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I would never use silicone caulk where appearance is critical. Latex caulk can easily be shaped with a damp sponge and excess removed before it is set. Try wiping off fresh silicone caulk you just get a bigger mess. If you just have use silicone caulk use painters tape the cut around the caulk after it drys and remove the painters tape.

Old 12-19-15, 11:40 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
Try wiping off fresh silicone caulk you just get a bigger mess.
Yep. I was just using it yesterday on windows. I'm still cursing (LOL). It's like playing with a combination of peanut butter and chewing gum.

Old 12-19-15, 12:01 PM
I don't like silicone either, nasty stuff. Sometimes it's necessary though.

Whenever you do use silicone, use a bag of cloth rags and denatured alcohol to wipe/tool the joint. Mineral spirits also work.

Old 12-19-15, 01:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I also use mineral spirits on a rag if I have to clean up a wet silicone caulk joint ........ or my fingers

Old 12-20-15, 02:14 PM
A
Thanks all.

I've caulked around where the spout meets wall. Now, my problem is it isn't adhering well. It's a polished chrome delta spout, using 100% silicone because it always seems to stick the best to various surfaces, but not this. What can I do?

Are spouts interchangeable? I'd rather use a stainless steel. Caulk should stick well to that.

Old 12-20-15, 02:42 PM
Clear Adhesive Caulk - DAP 5.5 oz. Kwik Seal Kitchen and Bath Adhesive Caulk-18861 - The Home Depot (this is white, just get clear)

Use Masking tape to protect the spout and leave 1/16" of the spout exposed. Cut the tip very close to the end at 45 degrees (there are guide lines on the tip) Hold the flat part of the cut tip to the where the spout meets the tile. Squeeze a small bead from the left center to the right center of the spout. Lick your finger and drag it across the caulk and wipe any excess on your finger on a rag. Remove the tape and let dry overnight. The caulk goes on white and dries clear , don't use the shower until no more white is visible. Its that easy.

Old 12-20-15, 02:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
My fingers get too nasty to lick but I often use a damp rag or sponge to help smooth out a bead of caulk ..... helps keep my fingers cleaner too

Old 12-21-15, 07:05 AM
A
Czizzi, are you saying that dap sticks good to that slick polished chrome?

I've always thought 100% silicone was the best.. But it's peeling off easy.

Old 12-21-15, 07:17 AM
Clean the spout and tile with rubbing alcohol. Both the silicone and adhesive caulk adhere well.

Old 12-21-15, 07:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It's a good idea to wipe with denatured alcohol anything you are going to caulk to make sure its clean and free of any oily residue.

If it's moving around and breaking free of the caulk, the problem is that the pipe isn't secured to the framing. You can't count on the caulk to secure the spout to the wall if the pipe is still able to move around.

Old 12-21-15, 07:39 AM
W
And for the preservation of the sanity of all painters, don't use clear silicone where your counter top meets the painted wall surface behind it thus locking in the colour... Until some poor slob like myself gets hired to paint the kitchen.

Old 12-21-15, 02:56 PM
And for the preservation of the sanity of all painters, don't use clear silicone where your counter top meets the painted wall surface behind it thus locking in the colour... Until some poor slob like myself gets hired to paint the kitchen.
Wildbill - LOL -we are discussing a bath tub spout here. Obviously we struck a fresh nerve. For he record, I have not purchased a NON-Paintable caulk in years. Paint won't stick to it and neither will anything it tries to be applies to.

Axxel - I have never had an issue with adhesive caulk sticking to anything. Unless the surface is wet from water then caulk will slide instead of stick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: