Is This a Fair Estimate for Plumbing Work?

Old 01-02-16, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is This a Fair Estimate for Plumbing Work?

There is a sewer smell coming from my basement bathroom. The bathroom has not been used very much at all. The smell seems to be coming from the shower drain. The guy who put the shower drain in, I donít think he put a j trap in under the shower and I think that is why there is a sewage smell. The plumber is going to pull up the floor of the stand up shower and install a j trap. I am supposed to help in trying to temporarily move the stand up shower.

I want to install a kitchenette along the same wall as the bathroom, so I need to get a sink installed. The plumber is going to use nearby hot and cold pex pipe to get the water for the kitchen sink. He is going to drain the kitchen sink into the drain pipe for the shower, toilet and bathroom sink.

I have attached some pictures to help you to visualize the work.

The plumber estimates $250 fo the sink installation, $650 for the j trap installation and about $150 in supplies. He will install the cabinets above the sink without charge. Does this seem like a reasonable estimate? Thanks.

Attached Images      
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-16, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Did you check for the presence of a trap by pouring water into the drain to see if any remained behind ?

Old 01-03-16, 06:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
The bathroom has not been used very much at all.
It's pretty common for the water in an unused shower trap to evaporate over a few weeks. Once the seal is broken, it allows sewer gasses to escape into your house.

The easiest solution to this is to turn on your shower for a minute or two every couple weeks (or dump a bucket of water down into the trap). This will keep the trap primed.

Follow PJmax's instructions to determine whether there's actually a trap there.

Old 01-03-16, 08:05 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I would be surprised there was no J-trap and you just noticed the smell now.... most likely it is the case of all the water evaporating....as mentioned above.
Otherwise you'd smell it pretty much most/all of the time since the install date.

As for your original question....that's almost impossible to answer.....I am not a plumber and don't do any construction work, but when in doubt....always get 2-3 estimates whenever possible for any work...just be upfront and say you are looking for an estimate.
At the end....remember that cheapest isn't always least expensive in a long run.....