Wondering if I need to worry about this exterior spigot freezing

Old 01-19-16, 08:33 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wondering if I need to worry about this exterior spigot freezing

I don't have a picture, but there is an outside spigot on our patio that is close to the exterior wall of the house (brick). I'm not sure where it comes out of the house but it comes up out of the concrete patio about 4", the has a 90 on it and the spigot. It appears to be steel/iron pipe with a brass spigot although I can't remember for certain.

Is there any danger of this freezing where it could burst or is it OK since so little of it is exposed? I feel like I worry about it every winter when we get single digit temps but I want to know if there's any merit to that worry.

I've been a little jittery about these things after I had line to an exterior spigot freeze and burst in the crawl space under my master bedroom a couple years ago (although that was a mess...they used coiled copper tubing to run to the spigot in an essentially uninsulated crawlspace and didn't put a shutoff on the line, had a friend help me fix it correctly with real copper pipe and a shutoff)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-16, 08:43 AM
There is potential for it to freeze if it is exposed and full of water. If you have a shutoff for it on the inside, turn that off, and leave the outside spigot open. Drain the water from that line if possible (there may be a bleeder screw on the interior shutoff). Other than that, there is not much else you can do. If you dont have an interior shut off for that, get one installed.

Old 01-19-16, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
There is danger of any pipe bursting if it freezes. If that is not a frost free bib then there should be a shutoff for it somewhere inside the house and it should be shut off and drained.

Old 01-19-16, 10:45 AM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Look something like this?
Woodford Model Y34 & Y1 Freezeless Yard Hydrant
If so and it was installed at the right depth and correctly it should not freeze.
It shuts off below grade and self drains.

Old 01-19-16, 10:58 AM
No it's not that kind, just a regular spigot.

I found a valve in the basement awhile back that I think might be for it but I'm not exactly sure (there are a lot of pipes all running in the same area that I can't tell where they go).

One problem too is that all the shutoff valves in my house, except for the main water shutoff, are gate valves. When the aforementioned line burst I tried to turn off the line it was on with the gate valve and it wouldn't completely cut off the water, I had to close the main water valve to stop water from flowing. No idea how old the valves are but I have a feeling they all have a bunch of crap in them that won't let them close completely.