Two plumbing questions

Old 02-06-16, 12:07 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Two plumbing questions

My loud, low rumbling water was fixed after a PRV adjustment. Recently, I started getting an extremely high pitched squeal when water runs. The sound seems to be in an upstairs bathroom, at least that's where it's loudest. Only happens when certain water is running or when some toilets are flushed. When it started, the plumber said it must just be very high pressure from the street, even though house pressure was fine, and put in a double PRV. That seemed to work for a few days, but that's it. What else might be causing the squeal? I am about to turn off my water completely, drain the pipes, and see what happens when I turn it on.

Possible related, my water and sewage usage has doubled in the last 2 months. Other than the squeal, I have nothing that explains why my water usage would have gone up. Any ideas?

Old 02-06-16, 12:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,485 Upvotes on 3,128 Posts
my water and sewage usage has doubled in the last 2 months.
I could see the water usage possibly increasing but how do you arrive at the sewage use has increased ? Your sewage may be billed on your water usage but that doesn't mean your sewage has increased. You could be using water outside for irrigation.

I don't believe the squeal problem has anything to do with the increased water usage.
I've heard toilet valves squeal when the pressure was too high.

What pressure is the PRV currently set to or is it holding at ?
If you don't know you should invest in an inexpensive pressure gauge. They're about $10 from most home improvement stores.

Name:  psi.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  27.9 KB

Old 02-06-16, 01:14 PM
J
Received 125 Upvotes on 110 Posts
Have to agree, checking the pressure would have been the first thing to have checked before replacing anything.
A home needs no more the 50 PSI.
Adding a second valve just makes no since to me.
What's making the noise, toilet, sink, tub?
Could be as simple as trash got in the lines from the work being done and is now causing issues.
If the water bill is really double check the bill to see if it was an estimated bill if not it may well be a broken line some place.
Lines running through a slab?
Simple to check, shut the main off at the house and see if the meter is still turning at the street.

Old 02-06-16, 02:03 PM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Sewage Usage

how do you arrive at the sewage use has increased ?
Sewer usage based on water usage. Sewage not metered. (Where we live)

Old 02-06-16, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 79 Upvotes on 71 Posts
Joes explanation would be my guess. Slab leak...

Let us know if your on a slab...

Old 02-07-16, 04:00 PM
H
Haven't checked the pressure since they made the change. It was about 60 psi before that. I'll have to check it again.

Not sure what to look at to check the setting of the PRV, will it be pretty obvious?

Not on a slab, water comes in to the basement. I've checked everywhere I can think of for leaks.

The numbers for water and sewage are identical, so I assume that they just use the same number. That's what I meant by increased.

Last edited by hmhill17; 02-07-16 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-07-16, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,485 Upvotes on 3,128 Posts
The numbers for water and sewage are identical, so I assume that they just use the same number.
Yes.... but that doesn't explain the additional water usage.
If there are no leaks..... you must be using more.

Old 02-08-16, 06:48 AM
H
Water company is sending someone out to check the meter and check for leaks.

I checked the yard for standing water, there was nothing.

My water usage has been pretty much the same for the 8 years I've been in my house. Fluctuated a little when we had family staying with us for 3 months. However a jump from 5000 to 10000 is astronomical.

There is a whole house water filtration system that was installed at some time in the past. We don't have a filter on it and there is no cap on the system. Haven't been able to find one frankly. Could air be getting in there to cause the squeal?

Old 02-08-16, 10:15 AM
H
According to my pressure gauge, house pressure is 50.

Old 02-08-16, 12:47 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Is your water meter in the basement or buried in the yard? Look at the meter and see if the little "tattletale" indicator (generally in the center or slightly to one side of center) is moving. If it is moving then turn off the supply to the house and see if that stops the tattletale. If it does and the meter is in the basement then the leak is in the house. If your meter is in the yard the leak could be in the line between the meter and the house.

Old 02-08-16, 07:31 PM
H
Meter is in the yard. Quite far from where the water comes into the house actually. Assuming the water comes into the house right where the PRV is. I assume I turn off the water inside the house not at the meter to test this.

As for the squeal, I started turning off sinks and toilets to test. When I went to kill water the the sink in the basement, one of the pipes moved up and down at least half an inch. Looks like it was tied in place with twine at one point. That doesn't seem normal to me. I turned that water off and haven't heard the squeal since.

That water line was put in well after the house was built, I think, so is it possible that the movement is to be expected or acceptable if they, for example, put it at the end of the water line without properly securing the line?

Old 02-09-16, 09:20 AM
H
I spoke too soon, the squeal is back.

Water company came out and showed there is an indicator of a leak. Meter reading up 3000 since 2/1. They left me some toilet leak detectors. All the toilets were fine though, which doesn't surprise me since I've had leaky toilets before and always knew there was a problem long before the water bill got hit just because I'd hear them running.

There is a drip in an upstairs tub, but it has been there forever so never considered it as the possible cause of a jump in the water bill like this.

I'm going to turn off the water right where it comes into the house at the PRV and see if the meter keeps going up later on. Then I'll turn off the water at the meter and watch the same.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: