Best way to straighten new PEX pipes

Old 02-08-16, 09:07 PM
P
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best way to straighten new PEX pipes

Hello,
I didn't have much problems with 1/2 inch PEX but recently got a roll of 3/4 PEX and this thing is so stiff!!
Really hot water helps but it is not practical...thinking now of hot air blower but want to make sure I don't overheat....
ANy other tips on how to handle a brand new roll of PEX?

Thanks!

Old 02-08-16, 09:28 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
I don't have an answer but when you figure it out, please let us know.

Old 02-08-16, 10:28 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think using a blow dryer is a bad idea. You really don't have good heat control and it could possible melt the hose some and cause a leak. But........Speaking of using hot water.........Attach a fitting to one end that can screw onto the hose bib on the water heater. Turn it up to max heat and roll out the tube out to the driveway. Turn on the hot water and let it run through it softening it and then let it cool all stretched out. It might work. Let us know!

skeeter

Old 02-09-16, 06:22 AM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Attach a fitting to one end that can screw onto the hose bib on the water heater.
If you mean the drain valve on the water heater it won't work unless you actually drain the tank. Leaving the cold water feed on the drain will turn cold after a couple of gallons.

Old 02-09-16, 08:21 AM
B
Received 208 Likes on 184 Posts
Fill your tub or a container, larger than the PEX roll, with hot water and let the PEX sit in it . Should soften it enough to unroll. Good luck.

Old 02-09-16, 02:50 PM
P
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am in NJ...too cold to get it stretched out on my driveway...besides, PEX and Sun = damage.
UV is bad for PEX.

Though the other day I saw a new type of PEX piping at my local plumbing suply store; It was PEX inside a thin aluminium conduit-like pipe so you can shape it as well as it is protected from UV

Old 02-09-16, 04:46 PM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Hi Paul,
We used to stretch wire to get it to cooperate, small wire used in wiring electronic circuits. Now, you probably shouldn't stretch that pex, but if you rolled it out straight and kept a bit of on it while you slid a towel soaked in very hot water along its length. Hopefully the hot water would relax its memory and after 3 or 4 passes it would cool to being much straighter than the coil.

Bud

Old 09-14-17, 10:44 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Work it

I took my 2 250 ft coils and walked around my house unwinding them. I attached the end first to a pole and just kept unwinding and spinning the coil to unravel it. I left it overnight and in the morning it was about 90% better.

Old 09-15-17, 11:16 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 341 Likes on 307 Posts
I usually man-handle them. As I unroll, I force-bend them the opposite direction (a bit, being careful not to kink). It works ok, and is a good workout.

I like the idea of hot water and such... but sounds like a lot of extra work.

The following users liked this post:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: