Compression fittings part 2

Old 02-11-16, 07:28 AM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Compression fittings part 2

I posted some other questions about compression fittings in another thread.

still having issues with slow leaks under the kitchen sink.

I wound up cutting off the sweated on valve to get rid of old work. Got a brass craft mult turn valve with 2 outlets so I have less joints.

Put this new valve on the pipe. Tightened the compression fitting - the box says 1/2 turn after nut begins to take hold or 'bite'. Is that mean 1/2 past hand tight?

I still have a slow leak after 1/2 turn past hand tight.

If I undo the connection to check that the pipe / everything is clean, can I reuse all the parts? or the ferrule / something else needs to be replaced.?

Thanks

Old 02-11-16, 07:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You might try Sharkbite instead of compression. Be sure the copper tubing isn't slightly out of round.

Old 02-11-16, 07:36 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the box says 1/2 turn after nut begins to take hold or 'bite'. Is that mean 1/2 past hand tight?
No, it's not 1/2 turn after hand tight. Tighten the nut with a wrench until the valve will not slide off easily, the ferrule just grabs the pipe a little.
Then tighten 1/2 turn.
If you over tighten, it needs redone with a new ferrule. Over tightening could also damage the pipe, the pipe must not have any depressions.

You will know it's too tight if you can't easily put another 1/4 turn on the nut.

Old 02-11-16, 07:56 AM
C
Received 168 Upvotes on 136 Posts
Make sure you clean the pipe just as you would if you were going to sweat it, before you slide on the nut and ferrule.

I always put a smear of rectorseal on the pipe before sliding on the ferrule, and a smear of it on the ferrule. It lubricates the nut and allows it to deform the ferrule easily to form a tight seal with the pipe and fitting. Since I've been doing that, I've never had problems with compression fittings leaking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: