Buried Black Gas Line

Old 02-23-16, 06:32 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Buried Black Gas Line

Due to some sidewalk work in our front yard, the city slopped our front yard towards our house which was unavoidable since we are below the street. The house was built in 1957. I felt the need to dig a few trenches to help direct the water to the back yard. Although the city had marked gas, water, sewer for digging, they were off by about 3 feet. Anyway, one trench uncovered the gas line at a depth of 6 inches or less so I added a couple of inches of soil back. My silly question is will the line being so close to the surface increase the rusting or compromise the line faster with water so close. Thank you.

Old 02-23-16, 10:31 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
There's no issue with the pipe longevity closer to the surface. It's going to be wet and in the ground regardless.

I would be sure to either make a drawing or take some pictures though of its location. With it that close the the surface, I would make sure you or the next homeowners don't find it accidentally with a shovel or backhoe. Even a grass aerator machine is getting a bit closer than it should be.

I might even go so far as to call the gas company and have them take a look and see if it's okay by their standards. It should be their domain, so if it's a problem, they will replace it at their cost.

-Mike

Old 02-23-16, 11:06 AM
M
Thank you for the advice. I will contact the gas company and see what they think. I was thinking it was my problem.

Old 02-24-16, 06:18 AM
M
I do have a follow-up question. I noticed last night they moved our water meter closer to the house too. I could not take a good picture of the clamp they used on our side of the meter based on the position, but it is similar to this Name:  Coupling2.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  15.4 KB. Is this an acceptable fix as I know I will be responsible when it breaks. Thank you.

Old 02-25-16, 10:04 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Is the meter underground? Underground connections are different than those you'd usually use in the house. If the water company installed it though, I wouldn't worry much about it. I can't vouch specifically for that type of compression connector, but I see no reason it shouldn't last a long, long time.

Old 02-26-16, 08:37 AM
M
It is underground so I could not get a good picture of it. Just hoping they were not taking a shortcut on my side of the meter. Thank you though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: