PVC Schedule 40 Weight Bearing Load

Old 03-09-16, 08:34 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PVC Schedule 40 Weight Bearing Load

Does anybody know how much weight 2" schedule 40 can take without cracking? I have a 6" x 6" building post that is part of a 19' x 19' open pavilion sitting on 2" PVC schedule 40 water lines to a pool. The pipes are 2' underground. There is an 8" footer poured on top of the pipes and the post is set in 16" of concrete.

The post is in the middle of the building and is not bearing much if any weight of the building. It is underneath a gable end and in line with the peak of the roof. The attic is used for light storage only.

The plumber and pool contractor both think it will be ok, meaning it will not crack but hedge with they can't be sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-09-16, 08:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
PVC pipe is not structural so there I've not seen any "consumer" strength number. With everything on top of the pipe what are your options? You try it and see if it's a problem but hope for the best. If the ground is properly compacted around the pipe you should not have a problem, or at least that's my guess.

Old 03-09-16, 03:00 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The trench the pipes are in was not compacted as it was backfilled. The base of the trench where the pipes are laying was not disturbed however. I am in the process of installing brick pavers inside the pavilion as the ground surface. 8 - 10" of crusher run was added and compacted around the post as the base for the pavers. Thanks.

Old 03-14-16, 11:21 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 181 Posts
When you're talking about underground strength, it's less about the pressure. 2' underground, it will have pretty constant pressure all around the pipe and I can't imagine it crushing. If it were 4" under a gravel driveway, that's more likely to crush.

In your situation, I'd be more concerned about the ground shifting and cracking the pipe. The 8" foundation should spread the load reasonably, and if the foundation was installed correctly, there's nothing to worry about. If the foundation compacts the ground enough to shift the pipe, your building will end up crooked... so again, I wouldn't worry much about it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: