Brittle ABS Pipe

Old 03-15-16, 01:38 PM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Brittle ABS Pipe

This job is finished, but I am curious regarding something I have never seen before. The problem started as usual with a water leak in a downstairs room. The failure was a 40 yr old 2" ABS line that had sheared at a fitting hub inside a wall. I repaired with new parts. Customer called the next day saying there was a leak. The new leak was at another hub on an ell that I had disturbed on the initial repair. In removing that, the pipe snapped off the ell with little pressure needed. It is like the ABS got brittle over the years. Just wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this. It is all schedule 40.

Old 03-15-16, 01:52 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Apparently in the mid to late 80s there was a lot of bad ABS produced, mostly on the west coast. If you search for Brittle ABS Pipe you'll find info about it and resulting class action lawsuit....

Maybe some of the plumbing pro's here have seen it in person...

Old 03-15-16, 04:23 PM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
I did Google as you recommended and the description is exactly what I encountered. However, this house was built in 1978, prior to the bad pipe of the mid to late 1980's. The site did cite a life expectancy of 50-80 yrs and said all ABS gets brittle with age. I guess this just got brittle a little early. I hate to break the news to the homeowner

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: