Should I take apart or replace?

Old 03-29-16, 10:48 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I take apart or replace?

I have a 3 season vacation place, and despite my best efforts blowing out the pipes, I had a break this winter. I have a series of galvanized fittings connecting everything. On the bottom is a T, out of which on one end is the garden hose and on the other end is cpvc going to the hot water tank. Moving up, I have a pex line in from my holding tank. Moving up again, there is some old flexible rubber-like hose that goes to my cold water fixtures.

The cpvc is what broke. The threads are stuck in the galvanized T and I cannot extract them.

Would it be smarter to try to take this apart, or should I just cut the pex and rubber-like pipes, remove the garden hose, and reconnect with new fittings? If the second option is the right one, what type of fittings should I use?

Old 03-29-16, 05:05 PM
J
Received 103 Votes on 90 Posts
Need some pictures, sounds like you have a hodge poug mess.
I'd be replacing all of it with PEX if it was mine, making sure to add an inline tee with a ball valve in the main line near the pump as a drain.
At the end of the year blow out the lines with air toward the main line drain.

Old 03-29-16, 06:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 908 Votes on 836 Posts
Whenever there is a problem I replace with PEX. And when I get the chance I re-pipe my rental houses in PEX. In winter I don't bother draining the pipes in vacant units. The PEX freezes without harm. You just have to get the water out of the toilet and sink traps and leave the faucets open.

Old 03-30-16, 06:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 348 Votes on 301 Posts
The PEX freezes without harm.
Yes, but what about the fittings?

Old 03-30-16, 06:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 908 Votes on 836 Posts
I have never had a fitting fail or fixture. I think fittings freeze before the tubing next to it allowing the pressure to be pushed out the ends into the tubing. I've seen something similar happen with faucets when left in the open position. As they freeze the water is forced out the spigot. As they near the freezing point the water starts to drip and eventually forms an ice cycle.

Old 03-30-16, 09:55 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 199 Votes on 178 Posts
The cpvc is what broke. The threads are stuck in the galvanized T and I cannot extract them.
You can use a pipe extractor to get the threaded portion out of the galvanized fitting. Something like:
HDX Pipe Nipple Extractor Set-HDX167 - The Home Depot

That said, I do agree with others that a repipe is probably the way to go. PEX is much more forgiving of freezing. I personally would still try to drain the pipes as much as possible... but as Pilot Dane said, I've heard of others having no issues with leaving the pipes filled (but not pressurized).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: