DIY install a salt-free water softener?

Old 03-31-16, 12:46 PM
Z
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
DIY install a salt-free water softener?

Hi,

I know some basic plumbing and have tools too. Plumbing is one of my hobbies. You think I can make it if I want to do it myself?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-31-16, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Hello z_johnq,

Salt free water softeners are a hoax.

A water softener by definition removes minerals by ion exchange which requires salt for this to happen.
There are many marketing tricks such as an ion exchange softener that uses potassium chloride, not sodium chloride to regenerate.
There are other systems that do not remove minerals but are inhibitors that reduce the ability of minerals to stick to surfaces.

What is the analysis of your water and do you have municipal water or are you on a well.
You really need to think this through.

Old 04-06-16, 11:36 AM
Z
Thanks GregH for replying.

I have public water, not well water. Now Costco is selling Hahn water softener/descaler. Sounds pretty good. But the flow rate only 7-10 gpm. It says it must be installed by a licensed plumber, or it may void the warranty. It does not look complicated but not sure I can take the risk. Even it might not be my fault if something gone wrong but they may blame me for that.
My house is not small but only 2 people living in it. 7-10 gpm should be fine, shouldn't it?

Old 04-06-16, 11:58 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Greg also asked:

What is the analysis of your water
I'd like to see the answer to this.

Old 04-06-16, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
You must be talking about this.
This is only a pre-filter, carbon filter and "salt free" softener which seems to be quite costly for what it is.

A housing like above is about $50 and can hold either a sediment or a carbon filter.
You could install the sediment cartridge for the whole house and then add an additional housing with a carbon filter to remove chlorine from the whole house as well or just for drinking water.

Under $200.00 for everything including cartridges and fittings and easy to install yourself.

If you do install a proper softener you will definitely need to know the hardness and other specifics of the water.

Old 04-06-16, 06:37 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I would definitely get a water test done - by either a lab or even one of those self-test kits. Whatever you do, don't get a water filter company to test it. I'm sure there are some reputable ones out there, but many of them just want to sell you their whiz-bang filter setup.

Most city water doesn't need any treatment - though a carbon filter might be useful in some cases. I would think the hardness wouldn't need any treating for most municipal water.

Old 08-04-16, 07:17 AM
Z
Thanks guys. I'd take your advice to get the water tested.

I was told the public water did not need any treatment but I believe there is some calcium in the water that clogged the shower head, plaque water kettle and surely it would hurt the water heater.

I lived in NYC for 6 years. I remember the inside of my water kettle had been clean and shiny to the day I moved out of there.

Yeah, let me get the test done first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: