Gray PVC Electrical Conduit

Old 04-07-16, 06:19 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gray PVC Electrical Conduit

My brother-in-law has a pool and wants to set up a unfinished rinse off shower station. Wants to use the gray to more closely match the look of the pool area. Just wanted to check to make sure there would not be anything harmful with kids rinsing off with water through the electrical conduit especially since it will be used often in the summer. Thank you.

Old 04-07-16, 06:34 AM
C
Received 168 Upvotes on 136 Posts
I'd suggest using CPVC and painting it whatever color is desired. Even white PVC is only rated for cold water, and some states don't even allow that. I doubt the gray would be harmful for just washing up, but it would never be code approved. There are extra chemicals added to give the gray more UV resistance and who knows if they would leach into the water, so why take a chance.

Old 04-07-16, 07:03 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Gray Conduit

I would also be concerned about water pressure issues.

Old 04-07-16, 10:59 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Even with PVC there are two types of fittings. One for pressurized lines and one for non pressurized lines. The sockets on pressurized fittings are at least twice as deep. Fittings for conduit are for non pressurized uses. Bottom first time you turn it on the fittings may just blow apart.

I have seen this when someone was trying to plumb a hot tub's jets with 1½" pipe. They were buying the fitting from a Bigbox that had only 1½" fittings for drains (unpressurized). Lines blew apart every time. Fittings for pressurized lines from a hardware store were twice as deep and worked first try.

Old 04-07-16, 02:47 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I will pass it along.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: