Which adhesive for thermoplastic elastomer?

Old 04-27-16, 03:13 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Which adhesive for thermoplastic elastomer?

Hey guys,

I apologize for somewhat off-topic question, but thought that this seemed the most appropriate forum, as plumbing deals with silicon, rubber and adhesives .

I am trying to find the most suitable adhesive which I could use to fix a tear in the fitness tracker band (Microsoft Band 2), look and feel of the band material seems similar to Fitbit, but might be something else.

Officially the material is called TPSiV (thermal plastic elastomer silicone vulcanate) TPSiV® Thermoplastic Elastomers - Dow Corning

As I understand, it is kind of a hybrid of thermoplastic elastomer and silicon rubber.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated Somehow I managed to make a tear in this thing and don't want to start trying any cyanoacrylate-based adhesive before I know it should be the one used .

Thank you!

Old 04-27-16, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Plumbing would probably be the last place I would seek help, so your post may be moved to a more appropriate section. Can you not purchase a new band for the unit? The only other thing I can think of is one of those ultraviolet cured adhesives as advertised on TV. You are not located in the US, so your access to this information may be limited.

Old 04-27-16, 12:54 PM
E
Hi Chandler, thanks for such quick reply. Well the Microsoft Band is the band itself, i.e. the electronics parts are enclosed in the rubber band, the band is not removable. Replacing the whole thing would be quite costly, considering that it is fully functional, just with a tear. If I can say "just..." Would you recommend some forum in particular?

For the UV-curable adhesive, would you mind telling some spefic option? I might see if something is available on ebay, shipping to EU might still be way cheaper.

Thanks!

Old 04-27-16, 12:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Rapidfix UV Liquid Plastic Adhesive Only Sets When Exposed to Ultra Violet Light | eBay is an example. It is made for plastics, so not sure how it would work on flexible rubber.

Old 04-27-16, 01:06 PM
E
You gave me a great idea, I just sent a request to Masterbond, will see if they suggest anything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: