Replace gas dryer - bend pipe?

Old 05-11-16, 06:55 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace gas dryer - bend pipe?

I have replaced our gas dryer. Gas inlet on new dryer is on opposite side, than the previous dryer. Copper pipe is pretty sturdy. How much can i curve the pipe to get to other side of dryer?

I have added 2 pictures\The firdt where you can see part of the dryer exhaust shows the copper pipe attached to flexible hose. Copper pipe used to go towards back left of dryer. Now i need to attach to back right of dryer. It is currently attached, but when i push dryer back against the wall, i believe that the pipe will stop it from going as far back as needed.
The 2nd picture is of the copper pipe headed up the wall towards ceiling. I have already started to curve it somewhat, to take the length out of it. How much can i curve/bend? I am doing this with my hands - no tools
Dumb ???
Thanks

Attached Images   
Old 05-12-16, 03:44 AM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
Not that anything is wrong with copper, but I would dump the copper tubing and re-pipe with solid copper or iron pipe to make right angle turns and hug the wall so the pipe is not laying on the floor.

Old 05-12-16, 05:13 AM
J
Received 99 Votes on 87 Posts
Can you somehow post a picture of how this line was run on the supply side?
I would have hard piped the regulator right to the dryer, hard piped the supply line as suggest adding a drip leg then used an elbow and shut off at the end of the supply that's attached to the wall.
If you used a long enough flex line it can be coiled and laid flat against the wall when the dryers in place but uncoils when you pull out the dryer.

Old 05-12-16, 08:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
Is that valve soldered on to the copper pipe ?

Name:  IMG_0508.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  42.5 KB

Old 05-14-16, 05:50 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Joec - the supply line runs up above the suspended ceiling and then travels about 10-12 feet to a T junction, with main line - same size tubing. Pretty dark up there and unable to get a good picture (plus my phone died)
This is about the 3rd dryer which we have replaced since moving in, and i believe that the original dryer was directly attached to the regulator. Last dryer was installed by a plumber where he added the yellow flex tube.

PJ - Yes, it does appear that the valve is soldered on to the pipe.

For now, it appears that i can gently bend the tube to make it fit where i need it, in order to get the dryer back into it's place. Any hints on how best to bend it?

For future, sounds like the consensus would be to hard pipe the supply lines, with straight and 90-degre pipe close to the wall, and then add longer flexible tubing to get from the supply line to the dryer

Thanks

Old 05-14-16, 06:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 285 Posts
Any hints on how best to bend it?
Soft copper (which is what you have) can be bent fairly easily bent by hand. Just be careful not to over bend it, or bend too tight a bend or you can kink it. There are springs and tools out there to help with bending the tubing but in most cases they are not needed.

Soft copper is just fine and is used in many parts of the US. East coast folks tend to poo poo it but I see no reason to reinvent the wheel in your case. Also, I suspect the "solder" you see is just pipe dope. You will be able to poke into it with a knife point.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: